pass/fail as undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrissyxf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for those who don't know my story: Went to Ivy as undergrad with acceptance to an 8 year med program. Decided not to go to med school for a variety of reasons (mostly lack of experience/maturity). Went to PA school. Now that I'm working, I realize I want to go to medical school...the problem I'm discovering is this:
While in undergrad, I took most of my courses pass/fail (S/NC)(including most pre-reqs) because I already had a grad school acceptance and didn't think I had to worry- this allowed me to explore alot of other courses I otherwise wouldn't have been brave enough to try buuut this leaves me with next to no GPA from undergrad (I took 17 out of 32 courses S/NC- only 2 were mandatory S/NC). When I decided to go to PA school my senior year, I took microbiology and physiology and got A's. I then had to take chem and physiology as a non-degree seeking at another 4 year university and got A's in those as well. In PA school, I got a 3.79- my only B's were B+'s in physio and pharm at the grad school level (the same class the med students take at UF) and then a B in surgery and one other rotation (got A's in my other rotations which we do w/ the med students and include exams similar to the shelf exams med students take). The problem is that I have next to no GPA from science classes in undergrad and I'm so worried about the hit this is going to take. My total science GPA is 3.72 (all undergrad except for the physio i took in pa school) and overall 3.69 (these include PA school classes) but really, how much can this mean when there aren't many courses factored in?
I'm taking orgo 2 now and plan to get an A, even though I'm working full time. I still need to take physics 2. I took a practice MCAT with no prep (and no science classes since 2006) and got 13V9B8P. I know I need to brush up on the sciences over the next 4 months, my goal is a 34 which I think I can pull off.
How bad is the pass/fail situation? I've done all I can to make up for it but is it enough? do you put your PA school courses on the AMCAS?
As far as recs go, my boss is a the chief of a division at one of the university's i'm applying for and he will write a very strong letter of rec. i also will get strong letters from an undergrad prof in my major and my undergrad advisor (who's asst dean of the ivy med school). I am going to ask this semester's orgo prof for a letter too.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

last comment: my ivy gave only 1 credit to every class so you needed 30 credits to graduate (i took 32)- they clearly state on our transcripts that each 1 credit is the equiv of 4 credits (for example, i took chemistry with a lab, this is actually only one class and therefore gets 1 credit, not the traditional 3 for the lecture and 1 for the lab) but on amcas I have to put 1 credit for the classes taken there while i have to put 3 and 1's for the traditional classes i'm taking now and at the other 4 year university- how much is this going to confuse people?