Pass/Fail Grades - What To Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoorChef

Reaction score
I just finished my sophomore year of undergrad. I have done very well the last two semesters.

However, during Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 (freshman year), I used opt-in Pass/Fail very extensively for both prerequisite and non-prerequisite courses. During Fall 2020, I replaced 4 courses, including General Chemistry I and General Physics I with a "Pass." If I didn't I would've earned a C in most of them. During Spring 2021, I replaced a D in General Chemistry II with a "Fail" ("No Credit" in our school). My transcript for freshman year is a complete train wreck.

I retook both semesters of General Chemistry last summer for As. I am planning to do the same with General Physics I this next summer I to make sure I do not come short of prerequisite coursework requirements.

My overall GPA is a 3.75 (sGPA 3.74) right now and I can get it above a 3.86 by the end of junior year assuming I maintain my performance, but this doesn't account for the 4 courses that I used the "Pass" option for and the 1 course I used the "Fail" option for.

Despite the retakes, I feel as though these pass/fail grades would really screw up my application. One idea I had was to take advanced chemistry and physics courses to demonstrate competency in those subjects (ex. inorganic chemistry 1 & 2 and advanced general physics / modern physics). Additionally, I was planning to describe extenuating circumstances in my secondary applications if possible since that was the main reason why my performance during those semesters was so messed up (not COVID-related).

I wanted some advice regarding whether the retakes and advanced courses would actually be helpful. Also, if anyone here could help gauge how drastic of an impact these mess ups during freshman year would lead to during admissions, I would appreciate your help. Please let me know if you have other suggestions as well.

Members don't see this ad.