Pass/failing tech elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genesis12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done a search for pass/fail option, and the general consensus is that as long as the pass/fail class is not within your major, it seems to be ok.

My present situation is that I could be forced to take a C in a graduate-level technical elective class. The difference between not pass-failing and pass-failing the class would be about 0.05 on my cumulative GPA (difference between a 3.65 and 3.70). The problem is that this class is within my major. Do you guys think I should just make the class pass-fail if I'm forced to take a C? I've heard that C's look disastrous on a med school transcript regardless. How about if I could pull a B (difference between 3.68 and 3.70)? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that C's look disastrous on a med school transcript regardless. How about if I could pull a B (difference between 3.68 and 3.70)?
No, they don't. I'd reckon that nationally as many medical students have a C on their transcript as don't. Just don't get too many.

I wouldn't sweat a Pass grade on a non required class, especially since it's grad level. P/F doesn't look great, but neither does a C. But neither is going to keep you out of medical school.

The "P" won't count into your GPA, but the "C" will. I'd go with the P, however a lot of either doesn't look good.

The "P" won't count into your GPA, but the "C" will. I'd go with the P, however a lot of either doesn't look good.

Seconded. Since it's not a requirement for med schools, I don't think anyone will care one way or the other about its status within your major.