Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Pass/failing tech elective

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Genesis12, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Genesis12

Genesis12 New Member

Medical Student
    I've done a search for pass/fail option, and the general consensus is that as long as the pass/fail class is not within your major, it seems to be ok.

My present situation is that I could be forced to take a C in a graduate-level technical elective class. The difference between not pass-failing and pass-failing the class would be about 0.05 on my cumulative GPA (difference between a 3.65 and 3.70). The problem is that this class is within my major. Do you guys think I should just make the class pass-fail if I'm forced to take a C? I've heard that C's look disastrous on a med school transcript regardless. How about if I could pull a B (difference between 3.68 and 3.70)? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    No, they don't. I'd reckon that nationally as many medical students have a C on their transcript as don't. Just don't get too many.

I wouldn't sweat a Pass grade on a non required class, especially since it's grad level. P/F doesn't look great, but neither does a C. But neither is going to keep you out of medical school.

4. GreenShirt

Medical Student
    The "P" won't count into your GPA, but the "C" will. I'd go with the P, however a lot of either doesn't look good.

5. Wanna_B_Scutty

Medical Student
    Seconded. Since it's not a requirement for med schools, I don't think anyone will care one way or the other about its status within your major.