• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Pass/No Pass Final Mark Decision

academic_20

May 11, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everybody. I’m finishing my sophomore year as a BME premed. Due to coronavirus my school allowed everyone to do pass/no-pass on their courses. I’m planning to do this for my BME class since it is not a premed prerequisite, but I am also unsure if I should also do it for my math class. This is my fourth semester of math, so I have already satisfied math requirement for med school. By taking math with a letter grade which I got a good mark of B+ (an upward trend from last semester's math) , my GPA does drop a little by 0.01. My grades have gone down significantly since freshman year and I do not want my GPA of 3.54 to drop lower. I am scared about how this will look to medical schools when I apply in the future with 2 letter grades and 2 pass class in one semester. As a premed, do you think it would look bad to do two classes pass/no pass this semester and would medical schools assume that if I got a C if I do pass/no pass on my math course?

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student
Hi everybody. I’m finishing my sophomore year as a BME premed. Due to coronavirus my school allowed everyone to do pass/no-pass on their courses. I’m planning to do this for my BME class since it is not a premed prerequisite, but I am also unsure if I should also do it for my math class. This is my fourth semester of math, so I have already satisfied math requirement for med school. By taking math with a letter grade which I got a good mark of B+ (an upward trend from last semester's math) , my GPA does drop a little by 0.01. My grades have gone down significantly since freshman year and I do not want my GPA of 3.54 to drop lower. I am scared about how this will look to medical schools when I apply in the future with 2 letter grades and 2 pass class in one semester. As a premed, do you think it would look bad to do two classes pass/no pass this semester and would medical schools assume that if I got a C if I do pass/no pass on my math course?
what did you get for the other math classes, which were the math requirements?

chaim123

Almost an MD
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2016
  1. Medical Student

Given that small drop in GPA and your grade of a B+, I would not P/F it. There doesn't seem to be any need to. A P looks like a C, which is worse than if you took the B+.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
People ask a variation of this question pretty much everyday, and the answer never changes!

Adcoms are not stupid, and the GPA is not viewed in a vacuum. They understand what candidates are doing, COVID or no COVID, when they choose to mask a grade. Applicants focus on the optics of 0.01 on the GPA one way or the other. Adcoms don't care about a single grade in a single class. They look at overall records of achievement, trends, etc., and the GPA, while very important, is not the only thing that goes into a decision. If you have a significant downward trend with a 3.54 GPA, your issues at this point go way beyond whether or not you have two Ps on your transcript this semester, and a 0.01 bump in your GPA is not going to help you at all.

Bottom line, if you are masking a C, you have nothing to lose, even though you are fooling no one. If you choose to mask a better grade, you are just playing yourself. The adcom won't care about the few fractions of a point you are gaming on your GPA, and will likely assume you did worse in the class than you did.

Reactions: 1 user

academic_20

May 11, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Those are impressive grades !!! You should be proud of yourself . Calculus is hard
People ask a variation of this question pretty much everyday, and the answer never changes!

Adcoms are not stupid, and the GPA is not viewed in a vacuum. They understand what candidates are doing, COVID or no COVID, when they choose to mask a grade. Applicants focus on the optics of 0.01 on the GPA one way or the other. Adcoms don't care about a single grade in a single class. They look at overall records of achievement, trends, etc., and the GPA, while very important, is not the only thing that goes into a decision. If you have a significant downward trend with a 3.54 GPA, your issues at this point go way beyond whether or not you have two Ps on your transcript this semester, and a 0.01 bump in your GPA is not going to help you at all.

Bottom line, if you are masking a C, you have nothing to lose, even though you are fooling no one. If you choose to mask a better grade, you are just playing yourself. The adcom won't care about the few fractions of a point you are gaming on your GPA, and will likely assume you did worse in the class than you did.
Thanks for your input. I am not trying to mask a grade. I am trying to decide whether it is worth to keep a letter grade for a course which is technically isn't a prerequisite since I have already done 3 other math courses. Since I am going to upper division courses, I realize that achieving a higher gpa is gonna be harder especially with those harder engineering upper division courses. So I am deciding if it would be worth it to just do pass/no pass for math and increase my gpa so I have more leeway in the future or just keep it as a letter grade and slightly decrease this semester. I know that being a premed in an engineering major would not do any favors to my gpa and I understand that I need to work hard.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.