pass/no pass?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I had a bad start this quarter and did not do well on my upper div bio class midterm. We only have two tests total (midterm + final). Anyway, I'm a junior and am trying to apply this year. I have a 3.5 gpa. I feel like my gpa is borderline. In other words, it is just OK and if it slips, due to my upper div class, then I'm in a bad position. I must prevent a decline in my gpa. So should I take this upper div class pass/no pass?

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I wish I went to a school where you could just take any class for pass fail after you get back your midterms. For us, we have to add pass/fail in the first two weeks of class, and even this is only for gym classes or other departments that actually accept pass/fail (which is few).

Although I think others will feel this is a "cop out" solution to your GPA problem, I think that if your school allows it, take the class for pass/fail if you think you're going to get a C or lower, because that's a hard hit to your gpa. Then take other upper level courses and do well in those for credit.

I think the generally consensus is that taking any science course for p/f is not a good idea. This is true, the pass/fail will probably look bad, but so will a C or lower.

If you are stressing about getting a B or even a B-, then maybe just stick with the grade, because that's not that bad at all if you take other upper division courses to prove yourself later.

-Entol