Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Pass/No Pass

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by yankdez, May 15, 2007.

1. yankdez

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm trying to raise my GPA, and was wondering if taking a class for Pass/No pass would make it harder. I dont think the units are calculated into your GPA for pass/no pass classes (i'm not sure, can someone confirm this?). If so, what are the benefits or drawbacks of taking a pass/no pass class, with respect to my GPA? Btw, this class isn't one of the medical school requirements.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nick_carraway

Resident [Any Field]
    P/NP does not affect you AMCAS GPA (i.e. the units show up elsewhere as supplementary units or something like that).

The only drawback is that you won't get your A if you do well in the non-required course. I can think of many benefits. Foremost is that you won't get your C if you don't do well, too. Keep in mind, though, that you might slack off even MORE in a P/NP class and consequently not pass the class. If you fail, adcoms won't like it.

Overall, AMCAS doesn't care if you do well in a P/NP class so just make sure that your school has no restrictions on which classes you can P/NP or how many units you can do it for.