Pass/No Pass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankdez

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to raise my GPA, and was wondering if taking a class for Pass/No pass would make it harder. I dont think the units are calculated into your GPA for pass/no pass classes (i'm not sure, can someone confirm this?). If so, what are the benefits or drawbacks of taking a pass/no pass class, with respect to my GPA? Btw, this class isn't one of the medical school requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

P/NP does not affect you AMCAS GPA (i.e. the units show up elsewhere as supplementary units or something like that).

The only drawback is that you won't get your A if you do well in the non-required course. I can think of many benefits. Foremost is that you won't get your C if you don't do well, too. Keep in mind, though, that you might slack off even MORE in a P/NP class and consequently not pass the class. If you fail, adcoms won't like it.

Overall, AMCAS doesn't care if you do well in a P/NP class so just make sure that your school has no restrictions on which classes you can P/NP or how many units you can do it for.