pass/not pass courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

misscalipig

does anyone out there know how med schools look at pass/not pass courses?

is it the same way they look at unreleased mcat scores?...that is, they assume you did the worst...?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...I seem to remember the tour guide at Brown saying something like...and I'm sure you'll all hear a story about some guy taking all 32 classes Pass/Fail and still getting into med school...

I can't remember what he said after that. Sounds improbable though. But I think a few pass/fail shouldn't be an issue. As long as BCPM is all for a grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by misscalipig
what's BCPM? sorry, i'm ignorant!

Common question, actually. It's Bio/Chem/Physics/Math.

Originally posted by Random Access
But I think a few pass/fail shouldn't be an issue.

As long as you pass them. :)

Originally posted by JPHazelton
As long as you pass them. :)

True, true. Here we can take a certain number of non-exempt classes Credit/D/Fail. One of my friends did end up getting a D on one b/c he never really did any work... Ooops...

-RA

Just a warning for those of you that are at institutions that let you take classes as pass/no record: Even though the undergrad that you go to might do this (i.e. if you 'Fail', then there is no record of you ever having taken the class) AMCAS still needs to know that you failed the class, and averages it into your GPA.

I took diffeq freshman year 'pass/no-record' and failed it. It never showed up on my final college transcript, but I had to report it to amcas. When averaged into my GPA, it lowered my cum gpa almost 0.1 points :(

-ttac

hm, so if i do pass the course...i'm pretty sure i will...the pass will be put into my amcas gpa? it will go in as what?

the class i'm debating on is a history course...upper division...nothing to do with my major...just for fun...i might be able to do well...but classes at berkeley in the humanities are pretty subjective...so i think i am going to take it pass/not pass....

unless med schools view pass not pass unfavorably....

any opinions =D?