1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

pass/not pass courses

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by misscalipig, Oct 15, 2002.

1. does anyone out there know how med schools look at pass/not pass courses?

is it the same way they look at unreleased mcat scores?...that is, they assume you did the worst...?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Hmmm...I seem to remember the tour guide at Brown saying something like...and I'm sure you'll all hear a story about some guy taking all 32 classes Pass/Fail and still getting into med school...

I can't remember what he said after that. Sounds improbable though. But I think a few pass/fail shouldn't be an issue. As long as BCPM is all for a grade.

4. what's BCPM? sorry, i'm ignorant!

5. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Common question, actually. It's Bio/Chem/Physics/Math.

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As long as you pass them. :)

7. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

True, true. Here we can take a certain number of non-exempt classes Credit/D/Fail. One of my friends did end up getting a D on one b/c he never really did any work... Ooops...

-RA

8. ttac

ttac Trust me, it's still fun.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just a warning for those of you that are at institutions that let you take classes as pass/no record: Even though the undergrad that you go to might do this (i.e. if you 'Fail', then there is no record of you ever having taken the class) AMCAS still needs to know that you failed the class, and averages it into your GPA.

I took diffeq freshman year 'pass/no-record' and failed it. It never showed up on my final college transcript, but I had to report it to amcas. When averaged into my GPA, it lowered my cum gpa almost 0.1 points :(

-ttac

9. hm, so if i do pass the course...i'm pretty sure i will...the pass will be put into my amcas gpa? it will go in as what?

the class i'm debating on is a history course...upper division...nothing to do with my major...just for fun...i might be able to do well...but classes at berkeley in the humanities are pretty subjective...so i think i am going to take it pass/not pass....

unless med schools view pass not pass unfavorably....

any opinions =D?