pass rates (graph) by school (for boards)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbizzaro

Varilux/Essilor Advocate
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
here is a graph of the pass rates of schools taking the canadian boards (i found it to be interesting, since the NBEO doesn't want to release such info) - this is good because it shows how good each school really is

look at the graph below, the numbers speak for themselves

observe puerto rico, with 60% passing BS (basic science), and only 40% passing VS( visual science)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• pass rate.jpg
    pass rate.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 383
drbizzaro said:
here is a graph of the pass rates of schools taking the canadian boards (i found it to be interesting, since the NBEO doesn't want to release such info) - this is good because it shows how good each school really is

look at the graph below, the numbers speak for themselves

observe puerto rico, with 60% passing BS (basic science), and only 40% passing VS( visual science)

Yep, the CASO is nice about publishing this information every year. Note the sample size from each US school is very small. I think ICO usually has the most Canadians, like around 12? PCO was like 8? IF i remember correctly.

ML1983 said:
Yep, the CASO is nice about publishing this information every year. Note the sample size from each US school is very small. I think ICO usually has the most Canadians, like around 12? PCO was like 8? IF i remember correctly.

I think there are about 18 Canadians in Pacific's class of 2009, eh.

Members don't see this ad :)
chester said:
I think there are about 18 Canadians in Pacific's class of 2009, eh.

we should urge NBEO to release stats for all schools... (with graphs, etc), to allows us to visualize how each school did

after all, we pay so much money for the tests - a small graph isn't much to ask for

That doesn't even have all the schools on it. Oh I missed that "canadian" part.

ML1983 said:
Oh really? That's a lot! The "#'s" that i posted previously were taken from the 2005 Results. I guess Pacific has taken the lead hehe.

http://www.ceo-eco.org/2005 CSAO Results Analysis.pdf

When I interviewed at ICO, they told me that they usually have about 25 Canadians in their class. So, I guess that number doesn't really match it either, but there are proably Canadians who go to school in the States and don't returen to Canada, so they wouldn't be writing the Canadian exam.

So there is no way to find out the pass rates for SCO and UMSL on the NBEO????

Eye 05 said:
So there is no way to find out the pass rates for SCO and UMSL on the NBEO????

You can always call the school's admissions office and ask them.

RDoshi said:
You can always call the school's admissions office and ask them.

I tried that, but all UMSL wants to do is tell me that they are above average. Well, average isn't that good!! So that does not tell me much, but thanks.

Eye 05 said:
I tried that, but all UMSL wants to do is tell me that they are above average. Well, average isn't that good!! So that does not tell me much, but thanks.

which means it's probably not much higher than "average". If it were 80-90% they'd probably be advertising it a little more.

I have no idea.. it's just my 0.02.

Pass rates are focused on WAY too much. You're going to learn what you need to know for boards at any school you go to. It's up to YOU to study for it and pass the test.

theres 10 of us at pco, 2010's class has more i believe, i already know of 9

ML1983 said:

I know of one school that tells you by phone their pass rate is 75% but in reality it is much lower. So you might want to get that claim in writing. I can bet you they won't give that claim on paper.

drbizzaro said:
we should urge NBEO to release stats for all schools... (with graphs, etc), to allows us to visualize how each school did

after all, we pay so much money for the tests - a small graph isn't much to ask for

We also pay so much money for the school so we should get accurat score stats. So if we get 2 acceptances we know where to go to. Some of us don't know what is "unofficially" known in the rumor mill. I was acceped into 2 schools and chose the one with the lower passing rate. I had no sources to go and get an accurate report so I chose the wrong school.

Opii said:
I was acceped into 2 schools and chose the one with the lower passing rate. I had no sources to go and get an accurate report so I chose the wrong school.

What makes you say you chose the wrong school? Don't get too worried about NBEO pass rate. You'll succeed no matter where you go. If you put in the effort you'll get the reward. I hope that you chose the school you'll fit in at best and enjoy the most. That is far more important than "pass rate".