Passed ... Best Step 3 Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YALEMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been a silent member for a while and just got my score for Step 3 (97/236) so here is my experience and feedback:

BEST STEP 3 RESOURCES:
1. PRACTICE SAMPLE QUESTIONS AND CCS SOFTWARE ON USMLE CD
2. PICK 1 REVIEW BOOK
FIRST AID > CRUSH BECAUSE FIRST AID HAS CCS SECTION IN BACK
3. PICK A SOURCE FOR PRACTICE QUESTIONS AND CCS
USMLEWORLD FOR MCQS
USMLESTEPS123 FOR CCS.

I studied about a month for the exam, this exam is more a nuisance than anything else. The MCQs are not very straightforward. Some questions I didn't even know where to look up the answers to and some were dumb like which test is most appropriate when in reality you would order all the tests. The ethics questions were dumb and common sense items. I looked through the question banks in Usmleworld and Kaplan, both are overhyped and not completely reflective of the exam, but its better than nothing. The CCS were a lot easier especially when you already have seen all the cases. The CCS section in back of first aid has just about evey case you can expect to see on the exam. I used usmlesteps123 which gave some useful tips and strategies, but the way their cases are organized is a little weird. Overall, being in medicine residency helped out a lot for the exam and taking it close to Step 2 is helpful. This exam was a pain in the arse, but glad it's over.

Members don't see this ad.

Been a silent member for a while and just got my score for Step 3 (97/236) so here is my experience and feedback:

BEST STEP 3 RESOURCES:
1. PRACTICE SAMPLE QUESTIONS AND CCS SOFTWARE ON USMLE CD
2. PICK 1 REVIEW BOOK
FIRST AID > CRUSH BECAUSE FIRST AID HAS CCS SECTION IN BACK
3. PICK A SOURCE FOR PRACTICE QUESTIONS AND CCS
USMLEWORLD FOR MCQS
USMLESTEPS123 FOR CCS.

I studied about a month for the exam, this exam is more a nuisance than anything else. The MCQs are not very straightforward. Some questions I didn't even know where to look up the answers to and some were dumb like which test is most appropriate when in reality you would order all the tests. The ethics questions were dumb and common sense items. I looked through the question banks in Usmleworld and Kaplan, both are overhyped and not completely reflective of the exam, but its better than nothing. The CCS were a lot easier especially when you already have seen all the cases. The CCS section in back of first aid has just about evey case you can expect to see on the exam. I used usmlesteps123 which gave some useful tips and strategies, but the way their cases are organized is a little weird. Overall, being in medicine residency helped out a lot for the exam and taking it close to Step 2 is helpful. This exam was a pain in the arse, but glad it's over.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm taking step 3 next month and appreciate your insights.

Wook

:) Thanks for the info. I was going to go with Kaplan for mcq but it seems most ppl are using usmleworld now. Does that seem true to you guys. I did a search to get some comparison on the 2 but the question kaplan vs usmleworld was never answered.

:) Thanks for the info. I was going to go with Kaplan for mcq but it seems most ppl are using usmleworld now. Does that seem true to you guys. I did a search to get some comparison on the 2 but the question kaplan vs usmleworld was never answered.

It's quite likely that few people are going to purchase both of these on-line Question-type subscriptions. Kaplan has been around with Q-Bank since 2001 or so. USMLEWorld has been around a couple of years. It is not likely that they differ enough to make a difference in your USMLE Step III score. Look at samples of both and decided which you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Qbank and first aid, I stuckwith qbank because I had used it for steps 1&2 and was satisfied with it
I used usmlesteps123.com for CCS practice and did fine

hope that helps

I used First Aid for Step 3 and Kaplan Q bank, both of which I purchased on Friday before my Monday/Tuesday exam. Fun weekend for me.

I used those resources b/c I used them for Step I and II, and was comfortable with the format, and I thought they were fine.

When taking Qbank questions, I kept thinking, "this question is ridiculous!". There was not enough info, the choices were just a touch "off", or I would have selected more than one answer....

Well, Step 3 was even worse. I kept looking for more choices, including:
F. I would take a better history, so I know what to do next
G. I would do a better physical exam, so I could find the one finding I need to make my decision
H. A and B, then C
I. None of the above answers, I would speak to the patient much more tactfully than that (I hope)
J. I would look that up in my Palm Pilot

Back to the question... obviously I can't compare Qbank to USMLEworld or other online resources, but I thought it was good practice for the test (if you don't mind paying $175 for 2 days of use).

Strong medicine and HIDDEN GEM CD....hands down.

Just got my score 241/97...only studied 4 weeks.

I used First aid, world qbank and usmlesteps123 CCS which worked for me. There is no magic source though, whatever you study, be sure to study it well and you will pass.

my program wants me to get started on passing step 3 NOW. first of all, dude. second of all, dude. im still unwinding from 4th yr, and i have like three more months before the end of life as i know it. that being said, a lot of people have said that being an intern helps you navigate better through the CCS stuff. since im going into surgery and the majority of the test is focused on internal medicine, is this true for surgical interns -- that PGY1 experience will help you perform better on step 3?

my program wants me to get started on passing step 3 NOW. first of all, dude. second of all, dude. im still unwinding from 4th yr, and i have like three more months before the end of life as i know it. that being said, a lot of people have said that being an intern helps you navigate better through the CCS stuff. since im going into surgery and the majority of the test is focused on internal medicine, is this true for surgical interns -- that PGY1 experience will help you perform better on step 3?

I didn't know you could take it as a 4th year?

I took Step III in Feb of my PGY-1 year right after ABSITE (Jan). I can't say that anything in my PGY-1 year helped with Step III. My senior medicine course (done in October of 4th year) was the most useful as the exam is primarily medicine (family & internal) and the software disk that you get when you register for the test is invaluable. Other than that, the test was a bit easier than Step II (CK). In hindsight, I could have taken this test right after submitting my rank list and done fine.

I thought some states allow you to take Step 3 as a fourth year. I heard some IMGs take step 3 before residency, so perhaps its possible for US grads to also.

IMG's can take step 3, ONLY IF they have their MD degree already. Otherwise, its not dice for them as well.

I took Step III in Feb of my PGY-1 year right after ABSITE (Jan). I can't say that anything in my PGY-1 year helped with Step III. My senior medicine course (done in October of 4th year) was the most useful as the exam is primarily medicine (family & internal) and the software disk that you get when you register for the test is invaluable. Other than that, the test was a bit easier than Step II (CK). In hindsight, I could have taken this test right after submitting my rank list and done fine.

in my opinion, residency is almost detrimental, as you are already spread so thin, and on top of that studying for a test looming ahead -- makes you feel like sh+t and worthless at times -- like you are not doing enough, but at the same time doing all that you can... stressful at times but manageable, if you make a plan and then stick to it. Much easier said than done. :cool:

I thought some states allow you to take Step 3 as a fourth year. I heard some IMGs take step 3 before residency, so perhaps its possible for US grads to also.

Theoretically you can take it as a 4th year. I know that Texas definitely allows this. However, you cant register until AFTER you graduate, which gives you only about 1.5 months to get registered and schedule a test date before internship starts in July.

Given that it can take 6 weeks just to get your confirmation notice so you can schedule, its not likely to happen in reality although theoretically you could get lucky if they process your paperwork very fast.

For those of you who used USMLESteps123 CCS cases...what were you all scoring on it? Is it like USMLEWorld MCQ where if you're scoring over 60% you're in decent shape?