Step III Passed, here's my scoop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ExtraCrispy

Funky chicken
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got my score yesterday, and I passed. Here's the lowdown:

Me: General Surgery resident at the end of my PGY2 year.

Study Time: One week, during a vacation month. Studied 10-14 hrs/day.

Time to score report: 23 days. It seems they often report on Wednesdays.

Study Materials: Unfortunately, with the burden of med school debt and now a mortgage on my back, I couldn't afford to spend a couple hundred dollars on USMLEworld, etc. Here's what I used:

1) NMS question book. Bought a "like new!" used copy cheap off Amazon. Great for content and for targeting weak points!

2) Step 2 Secrets. I'd heard it was very similar to Crush, and I already had a copy fully annotated from my Step 2 prep, so I just returned to it.

3) First Aid. Again, bought it used.

Study Schedule:
Day 1-2: Did 300 questions in NMS. I took time to study the answers, and looked the topics up in Secrets. Tackling questions cold turkey helped me to target my weakest areas (not surprisingly, ObGyn & Peds)

Day 3: Did the practice CD to make sure I was on-target. Started reading Secrets.

Days 4-5: Read Secrets

Days 6-7: Read First Aid

I took about a page of notes for each chapter in First Aid, focusing on my rustiest areas or the parts that required rote memorization. I reviewed these notes the night before the exam. On the evening between the two testing dates, I studied the CCS cases at the back of first aid.

My Test: This test was, in a word, annoying. The questions were often vague and their relevance to daily patient care doubtful. There were a thousand nondescript rashes. That said, knowing the appropriate makeup of CSF and synovial fluid helped; knowing antibiotics helped; a good knowledge of cardiac and ID were helpful.

I scored 223/92, which is far better than I expected, since I only aimed to pass and I thought the test was awful. If I'd wanted to ace the thing, I would have read through a family medicine book (maybe even blueprints?). Personally, I found the inpatient questions much, much, MUCH easier than the clinic ones (a fact that annoyed me when they constitued only about 20% of the test!)

I don't recall all of the case scenarios, but I know they included newly-diagnosed lung CA, UTI in a pregnant woman, meningitis, pneumonia, and a weird outpatient topic re: possible PCOS/ metabolic syndrome.

Best of luck to everyone facing the beast/