PASSED NAPLEX 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohbang

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out today that I passed the NAPLEX! After I took the (July 2017, 250 question, 6 hours) exam I honestly felt like I had failed. I was panicking because I would think of questions that I thought I got wrong then I would look up the answers later to find out that I actually did get it wrong. What really helped me was reading the threads on student doctor about other people experiences which made me realized we were all going through the same motions. I'm here to share my experience on how I studied and hopefully I will help someone out. Funny thing is I was on SDN posting on how I was waiting for my results when I checked a minute later to find out I had passed with TRIPLE DIGITS.

RESOURCES:
RXPREP TEXTBOOK AND QUESTION BANK - Provided by my school
ACCESS PHARMACY - NAPLEX RESOURCES (Flashcards, Question Banks also provided by my school)
QUIZLET - TOP 200-300 Flashcards
RANDOM - Online practice exams
RECOMMENDATIONS:
- There's a guy on here (SDN) that made a 49-page pdf (I glanced at it and thought it was really good - I would make flashcards from that) --> Link bottom of page.
- Maybe a second textbook: Kaplan, APhA book
- Also recommended getting more information on compounding
EXAM COMPONENTS TO MASTER:
- Calculations (a lot more difficult on Rxprep): I created an equations sheets and memorized it and applied them 100+ times!!
- Compounding: know the techniques involved, and different components
- Resources: know the resources you would use for a specific topic (hint it's usually pretty straightforward)
- Immunizations: know who gets what, when, where...how
- Drug information: MOA, DI, Brand/Generic.
- You might also get some random stuff so be prepared for that most likely one of the 50 questions that don't count towards your score
STUDYING:
1) First, I read the RXPREP book slowly did all the answers at the back of the chapter (beginning in January)
2) After graduation in May I read the book a 2nd time but this time I did the Rxprep question bank with the chapters. I also focused more on the bolded and underlined portions (I ranged from 48-94% on quizzes). It took 2 weeks BUT I completed every question bank. I took the RXPREP practice exam before the actual quiz bank by mistake and got a 55% (don't make that mistake take it after completion of the quiz bank)
3) When I registered for the NAPLEX I had to wait till July because all the spots were filled up. I worked most of June as a grad intern (30 hours). When I got home I focused on the chapters I got less than 70% on. However, I redid all the questions that I missed reading the RXPREP book a THIRD time but no more than 10-20 minutes on a chapter (averaging about 1 chapter a day/missed questions on days that I worked)
4.) TWO WEEKS BEFORE my exam date I made sure I had completed all the questions on RXPREP. I did some practice questions on ACCESS PHARMACY, FLASHCARDS, FOCUSED AGAIN ON MY WEAK POINTS ID, HIV, BIO-STATISTICS, STERILE, NON-STERILE COMPOUNDING, etc..MEMORIZED all of EQUATIONS-MNEMONICS-MEASUREMENTS.
5. THREE DAYS before the exam I took the PRE-NAPLEX and scored a 95 (yes you'll see on all of the posts most people do a lot better on the actual exam) I recommend you take it to get a feel of the exam but don't get super confident if you pass. Again focus on your weak points for two more days.
6. ONE DAY before the exam I just relaxed did some chores as I read online you should do but then I started panicking so I did more practice questions lol.
7. DAY OF THE EXAM. I went in there and realized how simple they made the exam out to be a lot easier to read compared to RXPREP but still required some thinking. I took only one 10 minute break (more like 3 minutes).. finished the exam took my time on the last 20 questions to make sure they were 100% correct. Finished with 30 minutes to spare.
8. TIPS: If you don't know an answer to a question takes your best guess do not start panicking like I did, also make use you time yourself every 50 questions.
9. RESULTS: I think the hardest part of the exam was waiting for the results which took about 3 business days (online) but I'm so happy to be over this now it's time to TACKLE THE MPJE After that LIFE.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Great insight on your experience. I am selling rxprep book, it is an extra one i have. unopened still in the plastic wrapping. msg me for details. thanks

I just found out today that I passed the NAPLEX! After I took the (July 2017, 250 question 6 hour ) exam I honestly felt like I had failed. I was panicking because I would think of questions that I thought I got wrong then I would look up the answers later to find out that I actually did get it wrong. What really helped me was reading the threads on student doctor about other people experiences which made me realized we were all going through the same motions. I'm here to share my experience on how I studied and hopefully I will help someone out. Funny thing is I was on SDN posting on how I was waiting for my results when I checked a minute later to find out I had passed with TRIPLE DIGITS.

RESOURCES:
RXPREP TEXTBOOK AND QUESTION BANK - Provided by my school
ACCESS PHARMACY - NAPLEX RESOURCES (Flashcards, Question Banks also provided by my school)
QUIZLET - TOP 200-300 Flashcards
RANDOM - Online practice exams
RECOMMENDATIONS:
- There's a guy on here (SDN) that made a 49-page pdf (I glanced at it and thought it was really good - I would make flashcards from that) --> Link bottom of page.
- Maybe a second textbook: Kaplan, APhA book
- Also recommended getting more information on compounding
EXAM COMPONENTS TO MASTER:
- Calculations (a lot more difficult on Rxprep): I created an equations sheets and memorized it and applied them 100+ times!!
- Compounding: know the techniques involved, and different components
- Resources: know the resources you would use for a specific topic (hint it's usually pretty straight forward)
- Immunizations: know who gets what, when, where...how
- Drug information: MOA, DI, Brand/Generic.
- You might also get some random stuff so be prepared for that most likely one of the 50 questions that don't count towards your score
STUDYING:
1) First, I read the RXPREP book slowly did all the answers at the back of the chapter (beginning in January)
2) After graduation in May I read the book a 2nd time but this time I did the question banks with the chapters. I also focused more on the bolded and underline portion (I ranged from 94-48% on quizzes). It took 2 weeks BUT I completed every question bank. I took the RXPREP practice exam before the actual quiz bank by mistake and got a 55% (don't make that mistake take it after completion of the quiz bank)
3) When I registered for the NAPLEX I had to wait till July because all the spots were filled up. I worked most of June as a grad intern (30 hours). When I got home I focused on the chapters I got less than 70% on. However, I redid all the questions that I missed reading the RXPREP book a THIRD time but no more than 10-20 minutes on a chapter (averaging about 1 chapter a day/missed questions for 21 days)
4.) TWO WEEKS BEFORE my exam date I made sure I had completed all the questions on RXPREP. I did some practice questions on ACCESS PHARMACY, FLASHCARDS, FOCUSED AGAIN ON MY WEAK POINTS ID, HIV, BIOSTATISTICS, STERILE, NON-STERILE COMPOUNDING, etc..MEMORIZED all of EQUATIONS-MNEMONICS-MEASUREMENTS.
5. THREE DAYS before the exam I took the PRE-NAPLEX and scored a 95 (yes you'll see on all of the posts most people do a lot better on the actual exam) I recommended you take it to get a feel of the exam but don't get super confident if you pass. Again focus on you weak points for two more days.
6. ONE DAY before the exam I just relaxed did some chores as I read online you should do but then I started panicking so I did more practice questions lol.
7. DAY OF THE EXAM. I went in there and realized how simple they made the exam out to be a lot easier to read compared to RXPREP but still required some thinking. I took only one 10 minute break (more like 3 minutes).. finished the exam took my time on the last 20 questions to make sure they were 100% correct. Finished with 30 minutes to spare.
8. TIPS: If you don't know an answer to question take you best guess do not start panicking like I did, also make use you time yourself every 50 questions.
9. RESULTS: I think the hardest part of the exam was waiting for the results which took about 3 business days (online) but I'm so happy to be over this now it's time to TACKLE THE MJPE After that LIFE.

Link to pdf: I wouldn't rely too heavily on this just something to look at. I thought it condensed some really important stuff. I would rely more on practice questions! GOOD LUCK!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9neupfxzzt2ejz/Tahhurs Naplex Review 2016.pdf?dl=0