Passed NJ MPJE!! How I passed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roubapharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey every one,
Just found out that I passed theNJ MPJE test, I thought I'll give u some advices that I learned from my experience .
I did my whole training in a hospital pharmacy, never worked in a retail , so I have close to zero knowledge in pharmacy law. Here's the material I used,
Professor Cifaldi's pharmacy law book.
Guide to pharmacy federal law by Reiss.
NJ law 150 questions and answers from pharmacyexam.com.
Pronto pass.
I read the federal law book very quickly and concentrated on the scheduled controled substances , and did 200 questions out of the 300 at the end of the book. I then did the 150 question CD.
This will enable u to go through Cifaldi's very quickly and u will know what are the important points that u have to stop at a read carefully.
Pronto pass is a nice review and questions but its not enough alone.
I hope this helps and good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Roubapharm, I am giving my NJ MPJE next month and would like to buy the study material. Are you willing to sell your study material especially Professor Cifaldi's law book?

Hey every one,
Just found out that I passed theNJ MPJE test, I thought I'll give u some advices that I learned from my experience .
I did my whole training in a hospital pharmacy, never worked in a retail , so I have close to zero knowledge in pharmacy law. Here's the material I used,
Professor Cifaldi's pharmacy law book.
Guide to pharmacy federal law by Reiss.
NJ law 150 questions and answers from pharmacyexam.com.
Pronto pass.
I read the federal law book very quickly and concentrated on the scheduled controled substances , and did 200 questions out of the 300 at the end of the book. I then did the 150 question CD.
This will enable u to go through Cifaldi's very quickly and u will know what are the important points that u have to stop at a read carefully.
Pronto pass is a nice review and questions but its not enough alone.
I hope this helps and good luck

Hi Roubapharm, I am giving my NJ MPJE next month and would like to buy the study material. Are you willing to sell your study material especially Professor Cifaldi's law book?

How much time did you devote to preparing for the exam. Just took Naplex yesterday and am taking law this coming Wednesday. It's gonna be tight...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took my nj mpje and feel absolutely horrible and depressed. 90% of those questions I had never even seen or heard of before. I studied cifaldi's book and 150 question CD. I had to look at the top of the screen ten times just to make sure I was taking the right exam. Anyway have similar experience? There is NO way I passed this

I just took my nj mpje and feel absolutely horrible and depressed. 90% of those questions I had never even seen or heard of before. I studied cifaldi's book and 150 question CD. I had to look at the top of the screen ten times just to make sure I was taking the right exam. Anyway have similar experience? There is NO way I passed this
how did you do in the end?

hello, I am taking the nj mpje in a few days and had 3 questions that i needed answers to. Any help will be appreciated.
1) Do prescriptions have codes in nj, like code a, b,c,d,e and each code represents a certain diagnosis?
2) for a controlled prescription cii and ciii - cv, if the doctor doesn't write the date , strength or direction use, can a pharmacist still fill it?
3) do we need to provide an oral, written, or faxed prescription copy of a cii or ciii-cv rx if the initial is provided through electronically?
4) does the pharmacist need to see the original cii rx if one is transmitted by fax in an instituional setting?
I'd really appreciate any answers on these questions. I did my internship in ny and am very confused.

http://www.mpjemadeeasy.com/ is a great resource for the MPJE. Many questions from this online exam repeat on the actual MPJE. The questions obviously wont repeat word for word so be sure to study the entire concept that each question targets. Also, if you e-mail Dr. Jerry Musheno directly ([email protected]), he should be willing to sell you a hard copy of his notes. I found his notes to be VERY useful for the NJ MPJE.

Personally, I felt that Cifaldi's notes were too detailed. If you are all about studying everything that you can possibly know about pharmacy law, go for Cifaldi's notes. If you prefer to only focus your studying on concepts that the actual MPJE most likely tests, Musheno is the way to go.

Also, supplement with the 6 Laws & Regulations here http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/pharm/phar_rules.htm.

Good luck!

Update - Familiarize yourselves with these as well http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/drug/cdsfaq.htm

Last edited:
hello, I am taking the nj mpje in a few days and had 3 questions that i needed answers to. Any help will be appreciated.
1) Do prescriptions have codes in nj, like code a, b,c,d,e and each code represents a certain diagnosis?
2) for a controlled prescription cii and ciii - cv, if the doctor doesn't write the date , strength or direction use, can a pharmacist still fill it?
3) do we need to provide an oral, written, or faxed prescription copy of a cii or ciii-cv rx if the initial is provided through electronically?
4) does the pharmacist need to see the original cii rx if one is transmitted by fax in an instituional setting?
I'd really appreciate any answers on these questions. I did my internship in ny and am very confused.

I just took NJ MPJE last week and received a score in the 80s. let me try to answer your questions
1. not sure about number one but medicaid patients always need diagnosis codes
2. for control CII, RPH cannot change drug name, date of issue and prescriber's name, if any of those was incorrect or omitted, need to contact prscriber for a new RX. ANy others like directions or strength, need to consult with prescribers prior to changing it. now c3-c5, since verbal rx is always accepted, just call prescribers for a verbal RX.
3. C2-ALWAYS need original RX prior to dispensing, if you get a fax rx for c2, you can prepare it first but cannot dispense it until you receive original rx. c3-c5-do not need written rx, can take verbal or faxed RXs
4. now there are 3 exceptions that fax C2 can be served as original written prescriptions: parenteral infusions for pain management (so in institutional and home infusion settings yes), hospice, and long term care facilities

I hope this helps, good luck on your mpje, you will be done before you know it, i was nervous just like you and you will be fine. let me know if you have any other questions

Hi everyone! I have a copy of 2014 Cifaldi's law book and I am looking to sell it. It's the go to source to prepare for NJ MPJE.

Just PM me if interested!

I just took NJ MPJE last week and received a score in the 80s. let me try to answer your questions
1. not sure about number one but medicaid patients always need diagnosis codes
2. for control CII, RPH cannot change drug name, date of issue and prescriber's name, if any of those was incorrect or omitted, need to contact prscriber for a new RX. ANy others like directions or strength, need to consult with prescribers prior to changing it. now c3-c5, since verbal rx is always accepted, just call prescribers for a verbal RX.
3. C2-ALWAYS need original RX prior to dispensing, if you get a fax rx for c2, you can prepare it first but cannot dispense it until you receive original rx. c3-c5-do not need written rx, can take verbal or faxed RXs
4. now there are 3 exceptions that fax C2 can be served as original written prescriptions: parenteral infusions for pain management (so in institutional and home infusion settings yes), hospice, and long term care facilities

I hope this helps, good luck on your mpje, you will be done before you know it, i was nervous just like you and you will be fine. let me know if you have any other questions

I thought C2s could be prescribed electronically according to http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/chapters/Chapter 39 State Board of Pharmacy.pdf

"A pharmacist may fill a prescription for a Schedule II controlled substance transmitted
electronically, provided that the original signed prescription is presented to the
pharmacist prior to the dispensing of the controlled substance. If permitted by Federal
law, and in accordance with Federal requirements, an electronic prescription shall serve
as the original signed prescription."

and slide 5 of http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/mtgs/drug_chemical/2012/gallagher.pdf

Practitioners have the option of signing and
transmitting prescriptions for controlled
substances electronically.
• Permits pharmacies to receive, dispense, and
archive electronic prescriptions.
• CII-V prescriptions permissible.

E-RX is okay as long as you present the originial rx before dispensing, meaning pharmacists can prepare it but has to wait for original rx to dispense c2 rx. during my last reply i was referring to fax c2 rxs cannot be accepted unless it adheres with 3 exceptions.

I thought C2s could be prescribed electronically according to http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/chapters/Chapter 39 State Board of Pharmacy.pdf

"A pharmacist may fill a prescription for a Schedule II controlled substance transmitted
electronically, provided that the original signed prescription is presented to the
pharmacist prior to the dispensing of the controlled substance. If permitted by Federal
law, and in accordance with Federal requirements, an electronic prescription shall serve
as the original signed prescription."

and slide 5 of http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/mtgs/drug_chemical/2012/gallagher.pdf

Practitioners have the option of signing and
transmitting prescriptions for controlled
substances electronically.
• Permits pharmacies to receive, dispense, and
archive electronic prescriptions.
• CII-V prescriptions permissible.

first off, i passed after 1 try :)!

im from ny so ive never worked in NJ and the laws in these 2 states are really different so for people who are from out of state, maybe my experience will help you.
im a good test taker but im not a very good student as in attending class wise or am i very interested in pharamacy...
i studied about a week to 2 MAX . i used pharmacyexam.com's cds but i would have to say, they arent very great. the questions they asked werent really like the real exam itself. those cd's didnt prepare me for check all that apply situations (i was like O.O WHAT?!?! on the exam when i saw it). the CD's did benefit me a lot on the Control laws for NJ.
i also used the mcgrawhill federal/sate book to study. it was very detailed but i didnt find some answers i was looking for such as the control rules.

mpje was the first exam i took ( im still waiting on my naplex exam) so i didnt know how to testing rules were or anything.
please pm me if you're interested in purhcasing my cds or book :)
or if there are any questions

GL EVERYONE!

first off, i passed after 1 try :)!

im from ny so ive never worked in NJ and the laws in these 2 states are really different so for people who are from out of state, maybe my experience will help you.
im a good test taker but im not a very good student as in attending class wise or am i very interested in pharamacy...
i studied about a week to 2 MAX . i used pharmacyexam.com's cds but i would have to say, they arent very great. the questions they asked werent really like the real exam itself. those cd's didnt prepare me for check all that apply situations (i was like O.O WHAT?!?! on the exam when i saw it). the CD's did benefit me a lot on the Control laws for NJ.
i also used the mcgrawhill federal/sate book to study. it was very detailed but i didnt find some answers i was looking for such as the control rules.

mpje was the first exam i took ( im still waiting on my naplex exam) so i didnt know how to testing rules were or anything.
please pm me if you're interested in purhcasing my cds or book :)
or if there are any questions

GL EVERYONE!
Do you still have study material?