Passed NJ MPJE with a 92!! My Experience and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmagoncia

PharmacyGrad614
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm back from a couple of weeks since taking the NAPLEX.

I just found out this morning in less than 48 hours my NJ MPJE score online to be a 92!!! Words cannot express my relief. When I was looking at the score I felt seeing pass/fail would be too overwhelming so I covered everything then slowly uncovered the first number and knew I had passed! I know a few of you have been asking for advice regarding MPJE, I posted my own share of questions myself.

I was so worried/ freaking out about this exam because I felt the NJ MPJE would be much more difficult to pass than the NAPLEX for sure, and I heard a few very narrowly passed. Part of my anxiety was feeling like I didn't know how to study for it, but I read around this site and asked others for advice. Law is at times really dry and really difficult to get through, at one point it took me 3 hours to get through 20 pages w/ many breaks in between. Here are the materials I used to study:

Cifaldi's 132 page review packet for federal and NJ state law: I would have used Cifaldi's book but my friend in another state has it. This packet I believe will suffice.
Reiss & Hall : only the Controlled Substances chapter, had to borrow from a younger coworker.
Pharmacyexam.com downloadable CD for NJ MPJE (150 questions): Formatting law into question and full detailed answer straight from the statutes and regulations helped me learn the law, I thought the questions were relevant and fair and although I spent money on this CD ($60), I do strongly feel that reading and being exposed to questions helps you prepare for an exam, and I felt it was money well spent.
DEA Pharmacist's Manual: online for free, about controlled substances. It's long, about 84 pages, but easy reading, not sure how much it helped but I just jotted down points I read that I felt were useful or that I didn't learn from the other sources.
Time: 1.5 weeks.

I got a little bit of everything on my exam both federal and state but I would focus on the NJ Pharmacy Practice Act and Controlled Substances Act and for federal: know definitions, labels, OTC dispensing. Like others say, the exam tests you mostly on what would be important for pharmacists to know in practice dispensing prescriptions. My exam was mostly scenario-based so I guess it was trying to test my reasoning and application of the law, but I've heard it can be either way.

I do feel that working in a retail pharmacy helped me, though some questions I felt were a toss-up and I went with my gut from what I read from law.

Do not forget, with all tests there is a test-taking component to doing well. I took about 85 of the 120 minutes (2h) they give you, though I did feel like some questions took up a bulk of my time and I was afraid I was being too slow, but I did get a ton of scenarios so my questions were a lot of reading and I was quite worried somewhere in the middle I wouldn't finish on time so I adjusted my speed.
The key is not to get thrown off by odd questions you may not know and just stay calm, I conditioned myself to expect these and knew I would just have to work it out and pick the very best answer. In order to do this you need to read the question carefully (reread if you have to) AND also read each answer (reread if you have to), pay attention to the wording and terms! You might pick one right away, but then see another answer that is better. I am a careful test-taker and I do believe it helps greatly!

Good luck to you all! Feel free to ask any questions =)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm very happy for you many many congrats!! I'm taking next week exactly one week from today and nervous... I have few question if u don't mind to answer: do need to worry abt sechduleing the drug because I'm very bad abt this?? Second I'm reading also from cifaldi packet from 2011 u think it's enough? Do I need to go on NJ website n re read stuff from their?? And is it more state or fed?? U said label u mean required stuff on label? And OTC u mean C 5 ?? I know I'm asking soo much but I'm very nervous??? Any thing from you will help me thanks a lot!!

I'm very happy for you many many congrats!! I'm taking next week exactly one week from today and nervous... I have few question if u don't mind to answer: do need to worry abt sechduleing the drug because I'm very bad abt this?? Second I'm reading also from cifaldi packet from 2011 u think it's enough? Do I need to go on NJ website n re read stuff from their?? And is it more state or fed?? U said label u mean required stuff on label? And OTC u mean C 5 ?? I know I'm asking soo much but I'm very nervous??? Any thing from you will help me thanks a lot!!

Scheduling: I would generally know the schedule for common ones.
Cifaldi's packet/book is enough.
I would focus more on NJ state law, but my exam had a good chunk of federal law questions.
Yes, read Cifaldi about the labels.
OTC/BTC dispensing includes: CV, pseudoephedrine/ephedrine, Plan B
You'll be fine! I went through the info highlighting, circling, and underlining. When I wanted something I felt was important to stick I would fold pieces of paper in half, write a list of these on all four parts and review these sheets right before the exam along with the Pharmacyexam.com questions. Don't be intimidated once you get to the exam, you have to read and think clearly. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
How different is NJ law from NY law?

I believe there's many differences! I don't know too much about NY law but I might consider it down the road. I've been reading NY, NJ, CA, FL and TX are tough MPJEs

Last edited:
Hello this is Shenaaz Shaik. First of all congratulations on passing the exam. I am new to NJ and i do not have any idea about NJ law and regulations. I read your post and I was wondering if I can buy your law material. I would really appreciate if you could please help me out. once again congratulations upon being a pharmacist.

I found this link for DEA pharmacists manual but not sure if it is the right one. COuld you pls guide me through this. Thank you

Hi, Just wondering where can I get Cifaldi's packet/book? If you want to sell it, I can buy it from you. I bought Strauss's NJ-MPJE packet and it is very confusing and not helpful :(

Hi! Congratulations on passing your MPJE NJ and thanks for the info you posted. I was wondering if you know of any recordings of Cifaldi's lectures from his class.. I am taking NJ MPJE shortly and his recording will be a lot of help. Thanks!

Hey Joypharm can you pls send me the link of the copy online for Cifaldis law. I have ordered it but it is going to take some time. I would really appreciate if you could pls send me the link. That would a great help. My email address is [email protected]

Can someone pls help me out. I have been looking for guidance in taking NJ law. I moved from CA. I would really really appreciate any help from any one. Pls help me out guys....

Hey Joypharm can you pls send me the link of the copy online for Cifaldis law. I have ordered it but it is going to take some time. I would really appreciate if you could pls send me the link. That would a great help. My email address is [email protected]

Hi, sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not mean an online copy. I meant I got a copy of the book from an online store by googling the author's name. Good Luck!:laugh:

Hi, took my NJ MPJE few days ago and passed it. Pharmacyexam.com practice exam was def very helpful and it wasn't as hard as i thought it would be :) and I only studied for a week or so :)

HI Pharmgi this is Shenaaz Shaik. Congratulations upon passing the exam. You graduated from NJ right? Can you pls share your material with me. I can pay the cost to you. I got my Cifaldis book but I am soo confused about it. I have no idea about NJ law. I am sooo depressed. I dont know what to do. can you pls help me out.