Passed November Naplex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naabilly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out I passed the Naplex with a very high score! The first time I took it I made a 70. I think it was due to nerves. I had a panic attack right before my exam. I also ran out of time. I definitely like the new version better than the old. The first time I used RX Prep and it was just too much to absorb. I also studied everyday all day 8-12 hours for six weeks. This time I needed a new approach (I made it through pharmacy school by cramming smh).

For the November Naplex:
- I studied 4-5 hours a day for three weeks and 12 hours a day on the weekend
- During that time I covered MULTIPLE topics. I spent at least two hours on calculations/biostats daily
- I wanted to spend more time answering questions versus reading because I needed to learn to quickly eliminate wrong answers and think about what the question was asking me.
- My RX Prep was expiring and I wasn't spending money for it again. I did all of the calculations in the testbank again twice before it expired. I also watched and did the test bank questions for biostats again and the topics I didn't perform in well on my prior exam (glaucoma, compounding, Hep B/C)
- I purchased a month of Board Vitals. I liked it because the questions made me think and it also showed me the subjects that I was weak in. I completed all 1400 questions in the three weeks. After, I went back in my RX Prep book and read the topics I didn't do well in.
- I did the SND calculation packet three times. RX PREP MATH IS TOO EASY in my opinion!
-Someone posted notes that I used. I read them twice. They are old bc new guidelines have come out but it was very helpful. It has the core of what you need to know... Ill post them below. (You must have prior knowledge.. I read RX Prep cover to cover my first exam, but information was getting jumbled bc it was a lot)

What I got on my exam:
-PANCREATITIS, PANCREATITIS, PANCREATITIS!!! I got 3 cases!!!! Not my best subject...
- You must know biostats! How to interpret, calculate and extract data! RX Prep was sufficient in my opinion, but you must practice these!!!!!!!!
-Compounding. I literally guess on every single compounding question. RX Prep IS NOT ENOUGH! I relied on calculations and biostats to pass this portion of the exam
-You must know lab values!!! At least 25-30 questions had something to do with lab values. What causes this lab value or based on this lab value what does the patient have. I think this is chapter 15 in RX Prep book...
-Side Effects! - a must!
-ID (treatment and organisms), Asthma/COPD (treatment, regimens, counseling), Minimum HIV and Onc - know that basics! All HIV combos, SE of classes, chemo man, treatment of SEs caused by cancer, Diabetes, Toxicology/Antidotes
-Calculations! You must know EVERY FORMULA! Especially the random ones ! UNITS are a must!! Pay attention to what they want the answer in and rounding!
-I got three questions on diagnosis. What do you use or how do you determine something?
-Doses!!! This was tied into the calculations. The only way you could answer the question was if you knew the dose (Common ones in RX Prep-- APAP, Ibuprofen, Lovenox, Heparin, Alteplase... That's all I can think of) - Pay attention when taking your exam! Sometimes they give you a dose in the lab value chart and three questions later you get asked a question on that dose. Happened to me twice. Only reason I knew the dose was bc I wrote it down just in case. Anything where the dose is mg/kg/day.... know it!

This exam was VERY RANDOM! Many questions were "either you know it or you don't". About 50/50 when it comes to questions being attached to cases or not. Very hard to do process of elimination on some. Always look at allergies and contraindications!!! This can help you eliminate things. Look out for random facts about drugs!

You must go in the exam CONFIDENT. You got this! I took the entire 6 hours. Literally had 10 seconds to spare. I also double checked every single math problem bc I knew math would save me. I caught errors I made doing this (not changing units, not rounding appropriately). I am also a VERY slow test taker.

DONT FORGET TO EAT THE NIGHT BEFORE, MORNING OF AND ON YOUR TEN MINUTE BREAK!! AND PRAY!

We got this! If I can do it I know you all can! GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• NAPLEX REVIEW.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 758
Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
naabilly was pretty much right about it all. make sure you bring food water and TYLENOL because staring a screen that long will give you a headache. the test is too too long i am not going to lie. like i had to sit in the parking lot for 15 mins so i could see straight and adjust my vision lol

some parts were easier and other parts were random. make sure you look over math WELL. it wasnt hard just need to make sure you are quick, i am a very slow test taker because i worry about everything! i haven't gotten my score back yet lol but i honestly feel like i dropped the ball. i made a 74 before so i studied, but not as hard as before and i think i way have hurt myself.

review biostats and compounding know the definitions, know the monitoring parameters (lab values) and know what drugs change them.

Thank you for the advice and good luck for your results. So the normal lab values are not given in the new test format? I heard that in the old format they used to give the normal lab values.

Thank you for the advice and good luck for your results. So the normal lab values are not given in the new test format? I heard that in the old format they used to give the normal lab values.

They still give normal lab values. Most are in the case/patient labs chart, in fact. Additionally, there is a button at the bottom of the screen that you can click that says "labs" or something like that, and it has almost all the reference ranges.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They give the lab values pertaining to the case. But what causes the lab values to be abnormal. You gotta figure that out.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone know in the exam, for Bio Stat calculation (ex: calculate RR, NTT, ...,.) They will say clear that they want the answer in the % or not? Because I'm confusing, some come out in percentage, some are not....Please help. Thanks

Please help......Has anyone know in the exam, for Bio Stat calculation (ex: calculate RR, NTT, ...,.) They will say clear that they want the answer in the % or not? Because I'm confusing, some come out in percentage, some are not....Please help. Thanks

Please help......Has anyone know in the exam, for Bio Stat calculation (ex: calculate RR, NTT, ...,.) They will say clear that they want the answer in the % or not? Because I'm confusing, some come out in percentage, some are not....Please help. Thanks

NNT is never in a percent. It will be clear what they want.

I passed y'all!! never in a million years i thought i would be typing these words on SDN. after reading and reading how others have succeeded and how had the the feeling i failed and the only one out there with that feeling.

Reactions: 3 users
I passed y'all!! never in a million years i thought i would be typing these words on SDN. after reading and reading how others have succeeded and how had the the feeling i failed and the only one out there with that feeling.
Congratulation!!! You made it. Enjoy the happy moment.

awesome!, congratulations

I just found out I passed the Naplex with a very high score! The first time I took it I made a 70. I think it was due to nerves. I had a panic attack right before my exam. I also ran out of time. I definitely like the new version better than the old. The first time I used RX Prep and it was just too much to absorb. I also studied everyday all day 8-12 hours for six weeks. This time I needed a new approach (I made it through pharmacy school by cramming smh).

For the November Naplex:
- I studied 4-5 hours a day for three weeks and 12 hours a day on the weekend
- During that time I covered MULTIPLE topics. I spent at least two hours on calculations/biostats daily
- I wanted to spend more time answering questions versus reading because I needed to learn to quickly eliminate wrong answers and think about what the question was asking me.
- My RX Prep was expiring and I wasn't spending money for it again. I did all of the calculations in the testbank again twice before it expired. I also watched and did the test bank questions for biostats again and the topics I didn't perform in well on my prior exam (glaucoma, compounding, Hep B/C)
- I purchased a month of Board Vitals. I liked it because the questions made me think and it also showed me the subjects that I was weak in. I completed all 1400 questions in the three weeks. After, I went back in my RX Prep book and read the topics I didn't do well in.
- I did the SND calculation packet three times. RX PREP MATH IS TOO EASY in my opinion!
-Someone posted notes that I used. I read them twice. They are old bc new guidelines have come out but it was very helpful. It has the core of what you need to know... Ill post them below. (You must have prior knowledge.. I read RX Prep cover to cover my first exam, but information was getting jumbled bc it was a lot)

What I got on my exam:
-PANCREATITIS, PANCREATITIS, PANCREATITIS!!! I got 3 cases!!!! Not my best subject...
- You must know biostats! How to interpret, calculate and extract data! RX Prep was sufficient in my opinion, but you must practice these!!!!!!!!
-Compounding. I literally guess on every single compounding question. RX Prep IS NOT ENOUGH! I relied on calculations and biostats to pass this portion of the exam
-You must know lab values!!! At least 25-30 questions had something to do with lab values. What causes this lab value or based on this lab value what does the patient have. I think this is chapter 15 in RX Prep book...
-Side Effects! - a must!
-ID (treatment and organisms), Asthma/COPD (treatment, regimens, counseling), Minimum HIV and Onc - know that basics! All HIV combos, SE of classes, chemo man, treatment of SEs caused by cancer, Diabetes, Toxicology/Antidotes
-Calculations! You must know EVERY FORMULA! Especially the random ones ! UNITS are a must!! Pay attention to what they want the answer in and rounding!
-I got three questions on diagnosis. What do you use or how do you determine something?
-Doses!!! This was tied into the calculations. The only way you could answer the question was if you knew the dose (Common ones in RX Prep-- APAP, Ibuprofen, Lovenox, Heparin, Alteplase... That's all I can think of) - Pay attention when taking your exam! Sometimes they give you a dose in the lab value chart and three questions later you get asked a question on that dose. Happened to me twice. Only reason I knew the dose was bc I wrote it down just in case. Anything where the dose is mg/kg/day.... know it!

This exam was VERY RANDOM! Many questions were "either you know it or you don't". About 50/50 when it comes to questions being attached to cases or not. Very hard to do process of elimination on some. Always look at allergies and contraindications!!! This can help you eliminate things. Look out for random facts about drugs!

You must go in the exam CONFIDENT. You got this! I took the entire 6 hours. Literally had 10 seconds to spare. I also double checked every single math problem bc I knew math would save me. I caught errors I made doing this (not changing units, not rounding appropriately). I am also a VERY slow test taker.

DONT FORGET TO EAT THE NIGHT BEFORE, MORNING OF AND ON YOUR TEN MINUTE BREAK!! AND PRAY!

We got this! If I can do it I know you all can! GOOD LUCK!
So the new compounding section is it basically Math??

Congratulation! I have a quick question for those of you who recently passed. When you 're caculating CrCL on the exam, did you use adj BW when ABW was greater than 1.3x IBW?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone take naplex on 10 jan? How was it? When can someone hope for results? Please reply asap. I am soooooo scared. Pray for me please.

You should call the board of pharmacy and I think I read that you can take it 4 times and then you would have to take classes and then you can take it another 4 times.

@ California92
When I submitted my application to take naplex the ca board sent me a letter, mentioning that I have 1yr from 11jan 2016 to 11th January 2017 to pass my test. Unfortunately, I could only take 3 chances and my 1yr time frame is over. Freaking out. Crossing my fingers for some miracle to happen. Pls do remember me in your prayers.

Why can you only take it 3 times? I was reading on the board of California website it said you can take it 4 times before you have to take extra unites

@California 92
Thanx 4 the concern. I am thinking that I had 4 attempts in 1 yr authorized by board , not later than that. I am also very confused. To find out the facts i will contact board (after my result ). Till then just praying.
If anyone going thru same situation, pls do share.

@ California92
When I submitted my application to take naplex the ca board sent me a letter, mentioning that I have 1yr from 11jan 2016 to 11th January 2017 to pass my test. Unfortunately, I could only take 3 chances and my 1yr time frame is over. Freaking out. Crossing my fingers for some miracle to happen. Pls do remember me in your prayers.

You can take it again for the 4th time but it sounds like your ATT has expired. I believe you need to register again and get a new ATT before you can take the NAPLEX.

You can take it again for the 4th time but it sounds like your ATT has expired. I believe you need to register again and get a new ATT before you can take the NAPLEX.
Thanks 4 ur concern. Appreciate and point noted down. Just waiting for my result. God forbid if I fail I will reapply for ATT 4 my 4th attempt. Man feel ashamed of, why couldn't do in 1st try. Plz just pray 4 me that I pass this time so that I don't have to think about reapplying.

Did anyone check license or certificate under personal information in nabp e profile. What can u see. Please do share. Thanks.

Last edited:
@naabilly
Hi! Thnx 4 ur help and support. Soon, God willing, I will get my license. My q is what is ur next step. Other than hunting for a job, any suggestions?