Passing NDBE part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thistle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the lowest score you can get to pass the NDBE part 1?

Members don't see this ad.

A 75 is the lowest passing score for any section. However, your total average must be above a 75 in order to have a complete pass. If just one of the 4 scores is below a 75, but your overall average is above a 75, then you only need to retake that one part of the exam.

So, a score of 75, 76, 75, 75 is a full pass because the average is above a 75. However, scores of 85, 73, 70, 71 is a complete failure because the average is below 75 (even though you got an 85 in one section, you must retake the entire exam).

I also remember that the ADA technical report on the NBDE says that the average % correct for a pass falls between 40-50% of the questions. So a rough estimate is that 50% of the questions correct = a scaled score of 75.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the rules are for retakes? i was under the impression that you can retake every 3 months if necessary. yesterday i heard a rumor that you only get 2 shots. i've worn out the ADA site and i cannot find an answer...thanks...

You can retake Part I as many times as you wish (literally). However, a minimum of 90 days must separate the re-examination.

Also, a candidate is limited to only two opportunities to take the exam in any one calendar year. The written dates are obviously July and December, but this rule also applies to the computerized exam in order to provide fairness to those who take it written.

That information is from the NBDE Candidate Guide (registration) booklet.

ItsGavinC said:
You can retake Part I as many times as you wish (literally). However, a minimum of 90 days must separate the re-examination.

Also, a candidate is limited to only two opportunities to take the exam in any one calendar year. The written dates are obviously July and December, but this rule also applies to the computerized exam in order to provide fairness to those who take it written.

That information is from the NBDE Candidate Guide (registration) booklet.

A girl in my school took it 3 times, applied for ortho, only invited to interview at 2 schools, and got into one.....Howard University. Anything is possible. :)

Doggie said:
A girl in my school took it 3 times, applied for ortho, only invited to interview at 2 schools, and got into one.....Howard University. Anything is possible. :)

Dang. I took the boards once, 4 interviews, no ortho match. After reading this, I feel like I should be a shoe-in (spelling?) candidate.

Not to worry, I've come up with my list of schools for re-application and Howard University made the final cut.

Overall - 93
Anatomy/Histology - 91
Micro/Path - 94
Biochem/Physio - 88
Dental Anatomy - 98

I think my lowest score in Physio was b/c our Physio course was pretty worthless and I didn't enjoy studying the subject either, so I never really learned Physio well enough to break the 90 on the boards. I don't think the Biochem brought me down b/c I really knew my Biochem and always did well in it in college & dental school.

Gavin, I'm too nice to tell people to shove-off. I don't think I could ever do it.