PAT Keyhole Question - How to determine if two things have the same height?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Empathetic Dreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knows a systematic way to determine whether two lines have the same length. Would the way you approach this change depending on the angle of the object as well?

As one example, how might I systematically determine if the length of the two platforms are the same height in the picture I attached? Same goes for the edged structure in the middle.

Thank for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 5.35.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 5.35.13 PM.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 76
Draw a mental line from the top of the platform on the left to the top of the platform on the right. If these lines connect, then this is the same height. If they do not (figure in the middle) they will be much lower. See attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 5.35.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 5.35.13 PM.png
    27 KB · Views: 85
But couldn't I theoretically draw a line connecting any two points? How would this prove that they are the same height? Is the catch that there needs to be a common reference point?

Not where both straight lines of the of the platforms meet perfectly, that would be impossible unless it was the same height.