PAT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zareh Darakjian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I know that this question has been asked before, but I would like to know the most recent acceptance criteria that apply for a PAT score of 14, and biology.chemistry,QR scores of 19,18 and 17. Does anyone know of any specific dental schools that would consider an application with these scores?

Thank you.

Zareh

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard an ADCOM from UPENN once say that they consider PAT scores to be unimportant because they figure they can teach you the handskills they want you to learn and the ability to see in 3-d they way you need to. I'm just passing along what I heard from this ONE adcom, but I still don't think it is true of most schools.

most schools have a cut off that if you get below a certain score in any section they wont look at you i would retake if i were you

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools have a cut off that if you get below a certain score in any section they wont look at you i would retake if i were you

:thumbup: This is correct.

However, of all the sections the PAT has the most variability in terms of importance from school to school. Some schools look at it very closely (UoP, UCLA) others don't look at it much at all (Penn). 14 is in the danger zone at most places, however.

You should check with individual schools that you are interested in before applying with a 14. Some schools have a minimum cut off (many have a 15 limit) and will not even look at the rest of your application if you have a score that falls below that. There are a few school, off the top of my head Loma Linda, that focus a lot more on your entire package that one score. Definitely check with the schools you are thinking of applying to before you drop $65 a piece. And to more accurately answer you question here are the lowest PAT scores according to the newest ADEA official guide to dental schools... Howard 14, West Virginia 15, U. Tennessee 16, U. Kentucky 16, U. Louisville 16, U. of Texas at Houston 16, there are also at least 15 schools that have 17's. Hope that helps.

Definitely retake it with only a 14 on PAT.

does anyone else remember that one sdner that got an interview at columbia with a 13 pat? :eek:

Thank you so much, djeffreyt! This is very helpful.

Zareh