1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pat~

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ippie, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ippie

ippie ippie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    How do you study PAT?
    I think the Kaplan's PAT isn't helpful. It's so easy.
    However, the achiever's PAT is really hard and it takes a lot of time to see all the possibilities of other answers.
    Do you look at all the possibilities of other answers? Is it helpful?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Keyhole:

You really do have to look at all the answers cause they can get tricky. Don't eliminate answers too quickly in this section since a simple turn of the piece could make it fit in a hold that looks totally wrong

Top-Front-End:

You can usually eliminate 2 choices very quickly cause a piece of the puzzle is inverted or an obvious cone is made out as a column in the answer, etc. Usually you then have to count lines in the other two options to see whether a dotted line or solid line should or shouldn't be in the answer.

Angles:

Just got to eye. If I see two really close angle, I put my thumbs over both of them very close to the angle and then I can usually tell from these smaller lines if the angles is bigger or smaller.

Hole Punch:

Study with Achiever...it's the same. I draw a giant 4x4 square on a piece of paper and when I get a harder folding pattern, I work from the hole punch backwards and make dots on the paper as I go to determine where a hole will be or if the hole moves as the paper unfolds

Cubes:

I count and list all the cubes in a figure before I start. (like)
    Figure 1
    5 5 5
    4 4 4 4 4
    3 3 3
    2 2 2 2 2 2 2
    1 1

then I answer the questions and start again with the next figure.

Folding:

for the easy ones...eliminate fast and keep going

for the hareder ones, take a few seconds to orient the piece in your mind and where all the shaded and unshaded parts are. Sometimes with simpler shapes that have shading, I even draw a sketch, but then it's just a bunch of looking and eliminating.