1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat~

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ippie, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ippie

ippie ippie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    How do you study PAT?
    I think the Kaplan's PAT isn't helpful. It's so easy.
    However, the achiever's PAT is really hard and it takes a lot of time to see all the possibilities of other answers.
    Do you look at all the possibilities of other answers? Is it helpful?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Keyhole:

You really do have to look at all the answers cause they can get tricky. Don't eliminate answers too quickly in this section since a simple turn of the piece could make it fit in a hold that looks totally wrong

Top-Front-End:

You can usually eliminate 2 choices very quickly cause a piece of the puzzle is inverted or an obvious cone is made out as a column in the answer, etc. Usually you then have to count lines in the other two options to see whether a dotted line or solid line should or shouldn't be in the answer.

Angles:

Just got to eye. If I see two really close angle, I put my thumbs over both of them very close to the angle and then I can usually tell from these smaller lines if the angles is bigger or smaller.

Hole Punch:

Study with Achiever...it's the same. I draw a giant 4x4 square on a piece of paper and when I get a harder folding pattern, I work from the hole punch backwards and make dots on the paper as I go to determine where a hole will be or if the hole moves as the paper unfolds

Cubes:

I count and list all the cubes in a figure before I start. (like)
    Figure 1
    5 5 5
    4 4 4 4 4
    3 3 3
    2 2 2 2 2 2 2
    1 1

then I answer the questions and start again with the next figure.

Folding:

for the easy ones...eliminate fast and keep going

for the hareder ones, take a few seconds to orient the piece in your mind and where all the shaded and unshaded parts are. Sometimes with simpler shapes that have shading, I even draw a sketch, but then it's just a bunch of looking and eliminating.