Pat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRoyal Pains

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first Crack PAT exam and got a 16. Im extremely mad because I did horrible on the T/F/E section (2/15). I know this means I should focus on this portion more than the others, as well as the other two sections I am not so strong at. I received 14/15 for cubes, 10/15 for pattern folding, and 10/15 for keyholing, 7/15 for angles, and 6/15 for hole punching. I basically marked all the TFE questions and went back to them at the end with around 2-3 minutes left. Is a 16 even respectable for a CD PAT exam considering they are known to be harder? I need some critiquing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't take the Crack the DAT one but I did a bunch of different ones like Kaplan and they seemed to be easier than the actual DAT. If this was your first one, I wouldn't worry about it. The PAT is more about learning how to take the test, so just take a couple more and your score should get better. On Kaplan I was getting 28 and 30s and then on the real DAT I got a 24. Just keep at it! Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't do well at all on my first couple of tests but after reviewing the answers and continuing to take more tests you will get better and better. Don't stress yet!! :)

I had the same issue as you with the TFE: I was so uncomfortable with it that every time i took practice tests i would mark all the TFE and come back to them.

This is a very bad idea for a couple reasons:

1) It wastes a lot of unnecessary time.
2) It psyches you out hardcore. Its like you are admitting you have no idea how to do TFE and just pushing it to the end hoping that it will just go away.

What you should do next is work on TFE and start mastering it. There is a thread on these forums that rips apart the PAT and shows you how to get better at each section.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528643&highlight=My+wicked+PAT+Tutorial

Take the time to learn how to do each one properly, even if you feel you are already good in one section. Practice every problem for yourself and really try to understand how they got the answer. One thing to remember is that even though each problem seems different the test makers re-use ideas constantly. Therefore the more problems you see the better because your brain will remember patterns and you will be able to do it faster the 2nd or 3rd time around.

In my personal experience some sections of the PAT just click. I was struggling with the first few CDP tests until i really locked into how to solve each problem type and how much time I personally needed for each section. By about test 6, I was consistently geting 21's on the PAT with TFE being my best section (coming from someone who was afraid of TFE before). On the actual DAT I scored a 23 on the PAT and I have to say it was due to practice, practice, practice.

Take your time. Learn how to do each problem. Work on your timing. Take tons of practice tests. Do all this and the PAT will just click for you.

Good luck. :D

Thanks for the input all! I guess I'll start focusing on the TFE sections now when I do practice problems/tests.