WAMC 2023 Cycle (I have a bad PAT score)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamnotbenaffleck

Reaction score
Date of submission: July 2023
Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.7
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.8
DAT score (include AA and all sections): It is very hard for people to give you feedback without a score. AA: 19, TS: 18, PAT: 16, QR: 18, RC: 23
State of Residence: Illinois

Undergrad Attended: Michigan State University
Major: Microbiology
Minor: Spanish
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 50 hours (Ortho, General, and Perio)
Volunteering Experience: Teletedum (helping a student from mexico city learn english while they help me learn spanish. I did this for a year), Book Project (collecting and distributing used children’s books at food drives. I’ve been doing this for six months and will continue next year), Loaves and Fishes (a homeless shelter in which I make dinner for the residents. I’ve been doing this for 2 months and I’m going to continue next year)
Employment: Dental Assisting in a Pediatrics dental office (I have my polishing certification, can take panos and bitewings, and review them with patients are parents. I have worked there for 2 years), Undergraduate Learning Assitant for Calculus I (I’ve been doing this for two years)
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Predental Club and Triathlon Club (I did a triathlon last year).
Relevant Honors or Awards: I’ve been on the Dean’s List every semester
LOR type and strength: Microbiology prof (strong), Biology prof (good), Pediatric dentist/my boss (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I’m just very worried about my PAT score but I hope everything else makes up for it. I could retake the DAT but I would rather not
School list:
  1. Marquette
  2. UDM
  3. UIC
  4. Pittsburgh
  5. Ohio State
  6. Case Western

Members don't see this ad.

If you decide to not take the DAT, need to increase school list to 10-12 to stand a decent chance of admission. Ohio state and Pittsburg will be tough schools to get into the with DAT unless you have decent ties.

You’ll probably want another LOR. Preferably from a supervisor - work or volunteer related

What have you done for manual dexterity to help offset your low pat?

Reactions: 1 user
DAT is going to drag you down; it might be worthwhile to retake the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Date of submission: July 2023
Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.7
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.8
DAT score (include AA and all sections): It is very hard for people to give you feedback without a score. AA: 19, TS: 18, PAT: 16, QR: 18, RC: 23
State of Residence: Illinois

Undergrad Attended: Michigan State University
Major: Microbiology
Minor: Spanish
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 50 hours (Ortho, General, and Perio)
Volunteering Experience: Teletedum (helping a student from mexico city learn english while they help me learn spanish. I did this for a year), Book Project (collecting and distributing used children’s books at food drives. I’ve been doing this for six months and will continue next year), Loaves and Fishes (a homeless shelter in which I make dinner for the residents. I’ve been doing this for 2 months and I’m going to continue next year)
Employment: Dental Assisting in a Pediatrics dental office (I have my polishing certification, can take panos and bitewings, and review them with patients are parents. I have worked there for 2 years), Undergraduate Learning Assitant for Calculus I (I’ve been doing this for two years)
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Predental Club and Triathlon Club (I did a triathlon last year).
Relevant Honors or Awards: I’ve been on the Dean’s List every semester
LOR type and strength: Microbiology prof (strong), Biology prof (good), Pediatric dentist/my boss (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I’m just very worried about my PAT score but I hope everything else makes up for it. I could retake the DAT but I would rather not
School list:
  1. Marquette
  2. UDM
  3. UIC
  4. Pittsburgh
  5. Ohio State
  6. Case Western
agreed, you are going to need to increase your list if you choose not to retake...

Plan to retake it IMO. I don't have a sense of your fine manual dexterity. Connect with the schools in your region to get feedback. Highlight your volunteering/community service to gauge desirability.

If you decide to not take the DAT, need to increase school list to 10-12 to stand a decent chance of admission. Ohio state and Pittsburg will be tough schools to get into the with DAT unless you have decent ties.

You’ll probably want another LOR. Preferably from a supervisor - work or volunteer related

What have you done for manual dexterity to help offset your low pat?
I would say that being a dental assistant has helped with my manual dexterity. I also like to sew, but I don't know if schools are going to care about that. I have a pretty close relationship with Marquette seeing that it is my number one school. I toured last year and I'm going to tour again in early May. I called the admissions office and told them about my PAT score and they said to bring in my scores, transcript, and resume. The director of admissions is going to take a look and let me know what they think. So we will see.

Reactions: 1 user
Plan to retake it IMO. I don't have a sense of your fine manual dexterity. Connect with the schools in your region to get feedback. Highlight your volunteering/community service to gauge desirability.
I can take a drawing class next fall. Would that help?