Path. Elec. in Residency Prog. OR Letter of Rec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medinah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to Pathology programs and am in the process of scheduling a Pathology rotation. I can rotate in a hospital that doesn't have a residency program for Pathology but I'm pretty sure I can get a great letter of recommendation. Or I can rotate in a hospital that does have a residency program in Pathology but I'm pretty sure I'll get a mediocre letter of recommendation from there. Which road should I take? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

my question is why do you think you'd get such different letters given that your performance would presumably be the same at either institution?

i suggest doing an away at the institution you think you'd most want to do residency. it's actually three birds with one stone: 1. you get a LOR and 2. an audition at your program of choice which pulls you out of the applicant pile in a major way (assuming you are good and get along w everyone) and 3. there is no better way to know how you feel about a place then to work there for a month.

if you can do two rotations that would be ideal....a warm-up rotation ( likely to result in a LOR) followed by one at a program you are seriously considering (also likely to result in a LOR).

if you have limited options, i suggest getting the best LOR you can get.

Ah, yes. The reason why I think I'm more likely to get an above average LOR from the non-residency hospital is because I'd have direct contact with my evaluator the entire time whereas, in the Path-residency hospital, I would have limited contact with the attending and hence, the LOR wouldn't be as impressive.

So, from your response, I'd assume that you'd recommend that I rotate in the non-residency hospital IF I'm confident that I can procure an above average LOR from there. Right?

And state policy prevents IMGs from rotating in my preferred programs.

Thanks a bunch sequela.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless there is a specific reason, I would go for the rotation at the academic center. Residency programs have many educational components that are beneficial. I did one rotation with a private group, and while I enjoyed the one-on-one teaching, it was no where near as stimulating as the rotation I did at the academic department. Doing signout with staff and multiple residents can be very educational. Plus, it gives you a better idea of what residency is like, so you can be sure of your choice.

I would not worry too much about the letter. Just find a faculty member you like, have some discussions, and show your genuine interest in pathology.

Thanks Circumflex. Just to clarify, am I to assume that you're saying it's more important, as an applicant to a Pathology program, to rotate in the academic program and receive a generic/mediocre LOR than it is to rotate in a clinic and receive a more favorable LOR? If so, do you think that PDs would agree with you?

Thanks Circumflex. Just to clarify, am I to assume that you're saying it's more important, as an applicant to a Pathology program, to rotate in the academic program and receive a generic/mediocre LOR than it is to rotate in a clinic and receive a more favorable LOR? If so, do you think that PDs would agree with you?

No, that is not what I am saying.
First, to qualify, I have no clue what PDs think, and I'm sure that not all PDs think alike.

Second, as an applicant, I don't think it matters where you do your Path rotation - as long as you know what Path is about and know that it is what you want to do as a career.

Third, no one wants a generic LOR - you should want glowing letters. I'm not sure why you think that there is this relationship of academic rotation = generic/mediocre letter and private = good letter. No matter where you rotate, show that you are interested and have a good work ethic, and you should get a good letter, barring any weird personality traits.

Find out from other students at your school and residents in the Path department which would be best. Path residents are probably your best resource.