path in cali

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globulin

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, you all probably had similar questions like this before. I'm a 3rd year med student. Definitely thinking about Pathology a lot. I think it would probably suit me since I like the basic sciences and don't particularly crave that much patient contact. Although, I don't really know too much about it. Like what kind of salaries are about average? Also, my second question is how competitive is UCLA, stanford, UCSF, UW for path in terms of board score, clinical grades, and aoa status. Oh yeah, and does anyone know anything about UCLA Harbor..is that a little less competitive and how's the program? Thanks for everything.

Members don't see this ad.

Starting salaries for pathologist in private practice can vary quite a bit depending on subspecialty training and location. But generally somewhere between 130s and 180s with partnership in 3 to 5 years. Then, likely in the 200-300s.

As for Cali schools it is my impression that they are all relatively tough to get into, but I have no idea what scores are really needed. It is my impression pathology is getting more competitive with each year. But, it is still not that difficult for a US grad to get a decent spot.

Good luck.

I did my Post Sophomore Fellowship at UCLA and worked at the Pathology Det. there, Cedars-Sinai, and Harbor-UCLA when I was in undergrad.

In terms of programs, in the Los Angeles area, I would say that UCLA is probably the best program. After that I would say USC, UCI, Cedars, and Harbor in that order.

The UCLA program is strong in both AP and CP. From what I heard (from residents) it has a better CP than Stanford whereas AP is vice versa. Cedars is a good program, however small. The nephropathologists there are two of the best in the nation. UCI is a strong program and has a Derm fellowship much like UCLA (if yo're thinking Dermpath). USC is county affiliated and gets many specimens but from what I heard not as many rare cases as UCLA. Harbor is OK but UCLA is by far the better choice. I am not familiar with UCSF so I will defer that to the other posters. Good luck with the studies!

Thanks for your input guys! Also, thanks global disrobal for telling me a little bit about the la programs..it is exactly what I needed to know. I guess I should probably do an away rotation at one of those schools, but i don't know if its worth it or not with the cost, worries about finding a place to stay, and also some people said that if you have already have pretty decent scores and grades, that an away rotation might actually hurt you. But I don't know...anyways, thanks a lot for all your help.