Path is getting competitive !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdoc2b

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's getting tougher to get into path residency.
NRMP released 2003 match statistics today and there are not that many unfilled positions.

West Coast : 1
Central : 14
Southern : 17
Northeast : 12

91 % of the PGY1 slots were filled in the match.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know the match numbers/stats from previous years?

2002 Unfilled:

West = 7
Central = 18
South =29
NE =11

Total Offered = 398
Total Unfilled = 65
% PGY-1 Filled in Match = 83%

All info from Scutwork.com

Also note that there was an increase in number of positions offered this year through the match (443 v. 398) with only 44 of those going unmatched (i.e. 90% fill rate this year!)

GO PATHOLOGY!!!!!

Mindy

Members don't see this ad :)
:clap:
Go path go!

It was pretty easy to see it happening. That is a big one year jump.

If someone can get to them please post the list of programs that did not fill. That can be an interesting item for discussion.

Good luck everyone.

:clap: I matched in nyc in pathology :clap:
yipi

Originally posted by GreatPumpkin
:clap:
Go path go!

It was pretty easy to see it happening. That is a big one year jump.

If someone can get to them please post the list of programs that did not fill. That can be an interesting item for discussion.

Good luck everyone.

AL-Baptist Health System 1
AK-U Arkansas-Little Rock 1
CT-Yale 1
DC- Georgetown 1
DC-Wash Hosp Center 1
FL-Univ So Flor-Tampa 1
GA-Med Coll of Georgia 1
IN-Ball Memorial 1
KS-U Kansas-Kansas City 2
LA- Louisiana St-New Orleans 1
LA -LSUHSC-Shreveport 2
LA-Tulane 1
MO-Barnes Jewish Hosp 1
MO-Univ of MO-KC 2
NB-Creighton 2
NH-Dartmouth 2
NJ-UMDNJ-RW Johnson-Piscataway 1
NY-MT Sinai 2
NY Stony Brook 2
NY SUNY Upstate 1
OH OHio STate 2
OH-Univ Hosp Cleveladnd 1
OH-West REs Care/Neoucom 1
PA- Thomas Jefferson 1
PR-Univ of PR 1
SD-U of SD 1
TN-East TN ST UNIV 1
TN-U Tennessee-Memphis 2
TX-Baylor 1
TX-TX A&M 2
UT-U Utah 1
VA-Eastern VA 1
WV-WV Univ Hosp-Morgantown 1
WI-Med College of Wisconsin 1

Hey thanks for list. Some suprises there. A few of them I would not think would have any problems filling.

Dartmouth, Yale, Ohio State, TX A&M, Utah are all suprises to me. I have never been to any of these programs so maybe there is a reason. Could be poor match management by the programs or just bad luck hehe.

Any suprises to anyone else?

Barnes Jewish Hospital (Wash U) suprised me.

I'm also surprised Yale didn't match all their spots, and Wash U also. I had both of them on my list. When I interviewed at Wash U they said it would be especially competitive this year because they had a number of good applicants from the local area who wanted to stay. Maybe they cut their list a little too short because of that. Who knows.

By the way, does NRMP also release the %US grads vs. %FMGs? I'm curious to see whether the increase in filled spots was due to increased interest among US students, foreign grads or both.

I have been casually following match trends ever since I matched in 2000 (I find it fascinating for some reason) and it still doesn't cease to surprise me every year when I see prestigious programs not match. Obviously, it's not just pathology, but also other fields that you would never expect. For instance, when I matched into radiology (yes, I am one of the rare converts from rads to path), I remember prelim programs telling us as we interviewed that a lot of us weren't going to match in rads. When the day came, half of my fellow classmates didn't match, yet I remember there being some openings at a few very prestigous programs (that made for an interesting scramble). Even more confusing was that the people who didn't match interviewed and ranked the programs that didn't fill. My guess is that these programs mismanaged their lists and overestimated their ability to pull in their top choices. Clearly, all the good programs were going for the same group of top applicants. In the end, some of the programs had to lose out if they kept their lists too short.

I do think that some good programs don't fear going short on their list. If they keep the list short, they make sure that every person that matches is someone they really want. If they don't fill, my guess is that they would rather scramble knowing that they will get plenty of applications not only from path applicants but also from other good applicants who didn't originally get their specialty of choice and are now scrambling for path.

Hey eiroc, sorry for being nosy and rehashing an old topic, but why did you decide to switch from rads to path?

Hey blueintheface,

It's kind of odd how I ended up in path, but since you asked, I'll share.

My decision to leave rads probably had more to do with the program I was at than radiology itself. I won't go into the details or even reveal the place for obvious reasons, but lets just say that it wasn't a good training environment. Since I was unhappy with my work place, and because I also felt I could do other things in medicine, i decided to talk to the PD and see if he would let me go to pursue other things. Luckily, the PD was nice enough to release me since he had plenty of other people who wanted to fill my position.

After leaving, I was ready to flip burgers for the year and reapply through the match. The problem was I didn't know what to do. I considered IM since I had already finished a prelim year, but the thought of q4 overnight call again made me cringe. To help with my decision process, I decided to visit the path department at the local med school to see if I could do some research. It was then that fate intevened because literally one day before I arrived, the path program had an unexpected opening because one of the residents had to leave for personal reasons. I was asked if I would be interested in applying and within a span of 48 hours I went from rads to path resident. Just to give you a little perspective, this all happened during my first month in july!

In retrospect, i probably left my rads program too early. It's my own weakness in that when things get bad, I tend to bail rather than wait it out. I think that had I been at another program for radiology, I probably would be over in the radiology forum right now instead of here. Nevertheless, since coming to path, i have never been happier. Compared to rads, I like path better because there are many more facets to pathology than rads. Not only is there surg path, but there is autopsy, forensics, and the whole world of clincial pathology including my favorite, transfusion medicine. I particularly like TM because it gives the clinically inclined the opportunity to work with patients in areas like apheresis and coag consults.

Radiology is very similar to surgical pathology and I think the two specialties attract the same type of person. I find practicing surgical patholgy more appealing than rads because the signouts are more definitive and the whole added dimension of immunohistochemitry, EM, IF, cytogenetics, etc... really adds to the overall appeal of practicing pathology. In other words, I feel like I have more definitive answers with path than with rads. I don't want to take anything away from rads because they can do some pretty amazing stuff with shades of black and white. I just personally didn't enjoy or appreciate the subtleties of radiology. Anyhow, I also found that being able to gross specimens in broke up the montony of reading slides and provided another dimension to pathology. When I was doing rads, I would spend 8-10 hours literally in one chair looking at radiograph after radiograph. The situation was made worse by the fact that I looked at my watch every 10 minutes. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize in medical school that reading out radiographs for 2-3 hours as a student was a lot different then doing it for 8-10 hours as a resident. Of course there is more to radiology then just reading out films (such as the interventional stuff), and I didn't stick around long enough to find out if I would have liked it. At this point it doesn't really matter because I am perfectly content staying in path. I'm glad things worked out the way they did because I now have the perfect combination of lifestyle and work satisfaction. Someone once said to me that pathology is medicine's best kept secret. I couldn't agree with that more.

Sorry for digressing so far off topic. Anyhow, that's my story.

Wow...!! Wash U didn't fill all it's spots !
They must have cut their ROL too short. It's probably the best program in the midwest. Yale is also interesting.

Thanks for sharing, eiroc. Thats a pretty amazing story. What are the odds that a spot would open up like that with perfect timing? A couple of months ago there was a discussion of rads vs. path on this forum but there wasn't anyone who had actually done both in any depth. I've done a year of path and a month of rads so I'm obviously biased towards path, but I did consider rads because of the many similarities in thinking processes between the two. For me, it ultimately came down to the satisfaction of making a definitive diagnosis, at least as definitive as you can get in medicine. I'm sure the hot job market in rads draws away many medical students who would otherwise go into pathology, but I think the pathology job market is posed to take off once molecular/genetic testing gets in gear.

bueintheface,

it's interesting that you mention that the hot job market in rads might draw away potential path people. I believe that to be the case too in some parts of the U.S., but this past year, there have been a lot of path jobs opening up. I wonder if students are aware of that trend and hence the rise in compettiveness this year. From my observations, the market has been great these past two years. I would say that most of the graduating seniors/fellows at my program who were job hunting this year got on average 2-3 offers. One of our dermpath fellows got about 4 offers. All of them already have great jobs secured and are loving life right now. The same happened last year except maybe a few less offers per person. Rumor has it that there are still quite a few job openings that need to be filled here in southern california. i am sure it is as good in other parts of the nation as well. I think that when you have openings in california, you know the market is good all around since california tends to be very competetive when it comes to the job market.

anyhow, it seems we are having a conversation within a conversation. let me bring this back on topic by saying that I think th NRMP does break down the precent of U.S versus fmgs every year. My guess is those statististics get released either on match day or soon after. Has anyone else seen these posted yet? if not, i am sure these stats will surface soon.