Path Questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rotund270

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of you may think this post is either a bit late or early, but here it goes. I am an osteopathic MS4 starting internship in july. I will be applying to path programs this match. Although I have been interested in path for awhile I am still new to it as far as all the usual application questions go. I have a bunch of questions that if anyone could help me out with at all, it'd be great.

My COMLEX boards scores are pretty solid and GPA falls in the mid 3's. I have some neuro research up for publication and all that jazz. Unfortunately I failed USMLE step 1 following a hospitalization (excuses excuses, I know).
So I am currently studying to retake them with a friend who is an MS2. I do enjoy research but don't necessarily want a program skewed only in that direction. Other than that I am trying to schedule elective time at the beginning of my internship to rotate at some path programs that I may have a shot at, and can get a good letter, etc.

Is it worth retaking the usmle?
Path programs that readily take DO's?
Path programs that accept COMLEX scores?
Programs that take interns for elective rotations?
Since a path rotation as a visiting intern may not have much hands on training, do you think a full 4weeks or 2 wks would be best?
Programs to avoid? e.g. workhorse programs?
Programs that may be useful to rotate at and get a letter? (Generically I know the answer is any of the big/reputable programs.)
Places where anyone has had favorable experiences as a student/intern/resident?
Any other words of advice, etc, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
The Rotund

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for our program.

We do take DOs rather consistently - probably because one of the biggest DO schools in the country is in town (University of North Texas). I am not sure though what our policy is about the boards for DO applicants. I would contact our program director, Dr. Timmons, and ask him (that is if you are intending to apply to our program).

We take a lot of outside rotators every year and as expected, the late summer and early fall slots are very competitive. I would do a 4-week rotation, preferably in Surgical Pathology. I am not sure but from my experience, we do interview all those who rotate with us.

I would wager that every allopathic program will require you to pass the USMLEs (some with a minimum score). You should check with programs that you are interested in.