Path Questions...

Started by Rotund270
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rotund270

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some of you may think this post is either a bit late or early, but here it goes. I am an osteopathic MS4 starting internship in july. I will be applying to path programs this match. Although I have been interested in path for awhile I am still new to it as far as all the usual application questions go. I have a bunch of questions that if anyone could help me out with at all, it'd be great.

My COMLEX boards scores are pretty solid and GPA falls in the mid 3's. I have some neuro research up for publication and all that jazz. Unfortunately I failed USMLE step 1 following a hospitalization (excuses excuses, I know).
So I am currently studying to retake them with a friend who is an MS2. I do enjoy research but don't necessarily want a program skewed only in that direction. Other than that I am trying to schedule elective time at the beginning of my internship to rotate at some path programs that I may have a shot at, and can get a good letter, etc.

Is it worth retaking the usmle?
Path programs that readily take DO's?
Path programs that accept COMLEX scores?
Programs that take interns for elective rotations?
Since a path rotation as a visiting intern may not have much hands on training, do you think a full 4weeks or 2 wks would be best?
Programs to avoid? e.g. workhorse programs?
Programs that may be useful to rotate at and get a letter? (Generically I know the answer is any of the big/reputable programs.)
Places where anyone has had favorable experiences as a student/intern/resident?
Any other words of advice, etc, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
The Rotund
 
I can only speak for our program.

We do take DOs rather consistently - probably because one of the biggest DO schools in the country is in town (University of North Texas). I am not sure though what our policy is about the boards for DO applicants. I would contact our program director, Dr. Timmons, and ask him (that is if you are intending to apply to our program).

We take a lot of outside rotators every year and as expected, the late summer and early fall slots are very competitive. I would do a 4-week rotation, preferably in Surgical Pathology. I am not sure but from my experience, we do interview all those who rotate with us.
 
I would wager that every allopathic program will require you to pass the USMLEs (some with a minimum score). You should check with programs that you are interested in.