Path residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacksonhole

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a question to those in residency. I have noticed that several of the programs I am interested in have many open spots in the PGY-3 and 4 years. Is this something to worry about? Have you seen many people start and then just leave to another program or start a different residency?

It just gave me a startle...maybe it is a red flag......

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I have a question to those in residency. I have noticed that several of the programs I am interested in have many open spots in the PGY-3 and 4 years. Is this something to worry about? Have you seen many people start and then just leave to another program or start a different residency?

It just gave me a startle...maybe it is a red flag......

Certain decisions by program directors may have big effects on residents. The ABP requires 48 weeks of resident training per year averaged over 4 years to sit for the boards. Many programs give 3 weeks of vacation per year which theoretically leaves 1 week per year (4 weeks over 4 years) for interviewing, illness, moving, etc. However some unfriendly programs will still require residents to use vacation time for all interviews. Other more friendly programs will put residents on research rotations at times such as after having a baby so that the residents can spend more time at home postpartum and still have the time counted toward the 48 weeks. These differences in approach can cause big effects on morale which cause residents to leave/transfer. Fellowships are now critical in pathology and in certain subspecialties they are quite competitive. This means many residents will need to go on multiple fellowship interviews in order to get a position. I think that forcing a resident to use only vacation time for all interviews is a big red flag. I think all pathology applicants should ask at their residency interviews what the program policy is regarding time off for fellowship interviews.