Path to becoming a PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cameronWA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Hi there, currently I am doing research on different medical careers, namely becoming a DPT, PA, possibly PTA and a radiologic technologist.

I really want to become a PT, but it seems the standard doctorate now will put me far in debt, and the salary compared to the schooling isn't worth it as much.. but I am still debating it. I am starting college soon and am still young.. so I just want to hear some advice for this route, any is appreciated.

Also my second route was applying to PTA school, going, and then working as a PTA for a year or two, then apply to a PA school (the PTA work would be my medical experience) and attend to become a PA. Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Lastly, (Ha sorry, I got a few pathways I know.. :idea: ) is to apply for a RT school and attend to become a RT.. and work at nearby hospital.

I am willing to go to school, and work off debt, but I do need to be making 45-50k minimum for work, because i'm looking to be supporting a family down the road, and want a steady job with a good outlook. As I said before, getting to work sooner would be nice, but I am not phased by more schooling.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks, and if you have any other career suggestions I will gladly look into it and research it. :D

Members don't see this ad.

71 views and no reply? Haha you don't need to have alot of experience, just looking for honest opinions.

71 views and no reply? Haha you don't need to have alot of experience, just looking for honest opinions.

Honestly, go for the one you love. Don't chase the money; I tried that as did many of the people I used to worked with and I ended up working late hours in a job I hated and all the money in the world wasn't worth it. You're better off working long-hours at a job you love.

Other than that, starting with a PTA sounds like the safe option.

Thanks. I narrowed it down to either going to my local community college to get my AS, then tranfer to a 4-year for my BS (to save what money I can on tuition cost), and then apply for PT school. That or just going to the local PTA program (in Poulsbo, WA) and work as a PTA while earning bachelor's.

Thanks for the advice :)