Path to director of pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a quick search here and nothing really comes up with much guidance so thought I'd ask here. What is the most efficient way to become a DOP (director of pharmacy) within a relatively short period of time 5-10 years? I'd think probably to ask my current director and my past manager (who just got promoted to become a director elsewhere) but I was wondering is there anything else or person I can ask for some guidance or general direction?

brief hx about me, completed pgy1 at a teaching hospital, bcps, worked as clinical staff pharmacist mostly in floor deploy role since residency, working mostly in stewardship role along with ICU and staffing roles. Not much leadership experience other than brief period of stewardship pharmacist and lead some of our meeting and passed may be 1 or 2 policy during this period, saw some good result with the stewardship. But like I said that is the extent and I'm kind of looking for the next level. I used to think I'd always do clinical but I actually want to go into administrative more as a challenge for myself. I don't mind getting a MBA or MPH if it'll help me reach my goal, esp since my institution will help with such degree's cost. My friends all tell me its not worth it to get another degree and its best to just network and learn on the job but I don't really have any role to get any hands on experience either. Kind of wish I paid attention at those leadership rotation we had now lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Get a job at a location with 1-2 pharmacists. Once you're director there for a few years, you can apply to places with larger staff.

Reactions: 1 user
The quickest way may be to target rural hospitals. I’ve seen people with qualifications similar to yours get DOP positions in BFE areas with 3-4 years of experience. With some time and being awesome (on your part) you might be able to move to positions at larger hospitals. Or you might get stuck there forever, who knows.

Side note: it’s probably unnecessary to define “DOP” to members of a pharmacy forum

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how large an institution. I knew several hospital directors hired right out of pharmacy school (they happened to be the only FT pharmacist there, so that makes them the director in addition to being a practitioner). Working the way up from small to large is the usual pathway.

In most large institution cases, promote to supervisor, then go on the small hospital director circuit, and for the very largest institutions, you either need an MBA/MHA or finish FACHE certification (most of the very large system directors are FACHE or MBA's). For civil service, promote to supervisor and enter your agency's SES LDA/CDP program (you get FACHE as an intermediate qualification during the training and end with an MBA/MS/MPA through either Harvard Kennedy, Georgetown, or Johns Hopkins). In all cases, be ready to be mobile, it is unlikely that you can advance your career in that sense without relocating.

Reactions: 1 users
appreciate the thoughts and comments, I guess I got this year to decide how to get there. I just don't know if getting a MBA is worth it though. Like I'd probably end up paying 5-10k and my institution pays rest of it. This most likely will be an online MBA as I don't think i'll have enough time for live classroom or don't want to live so tight a life like a resident. But I think the key really is networking though right and get the manager position first?

Get involved or pilot a project that increases patient satisfaction and decreases costs. Become more involved with your P&T committee. Optimize workflow in getting medications to the bedside and on discharge (i.e. meds to beds).

You don't need an MBA/MHA to get these under your belt.

Look for management agencies that have mgmt agreements - you can often start at a small rural hospital and climb fast - I know with my old company that was possible,