Pathology 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You haven't received anything because it's September 6th.

Patience. If they want to interview you, they will. And they will send you the info then.

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't received anything because it's September 6th.

Patience. If they want to interview you, they will. And they will send you the info then.

Whew...it's been over 48 hours after the labor day holiday weekend and I was beginning to get nervous.:rolleyes:
Besides, what would feed my OCD if I didn't have ERAS to check every hour (on the hour...). Ad nauseum.

okay what is a form 172? does that authorize release of the usmle transcript through eras? Or was I suppsoed to do something else too?
Here's something really weird- my dean's office uploaded my LOR and transcript YESTERDAY and UVA downloaded them YESTERDAY (sunday 9/3). someone's working overtime!

Congrats on getting your app in! I put mine in late on Friday. Regarding the USMLE transcript, I'm in the same position...it's not even uploaded yet! As far as the form 172 goes, I think that's only for release of USMLE transcripts to non-ERAS organizations? Anyway, anyone else waiting for USMLE transcript uploading? Anyone know from past experience how long it takes?

Fat

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on getting your app in! I put mine in late on Friday. Regarding the USMLE transcript, I'm in the same position...it's not even uploaded yet! As far as the form 172 goes, I think that's only for release of USMLE transcripts to non-ERAS organizations? Anyway, anyone else waiting for USMLE transcript uploading? Anyone know from past experience how long it takes?

Fat

a couple of days i think. (took my school less than 48 hours)

way way way too early to start worrying. some programs download applications quick but don't review them. the person downloading applications is usually a program administrator (i.e., somebody in a secretarial position).
Would it be poor form to contact the programs that I applied to and see what their application/ interview process is? MUSC's letter was so helpful in outlining their process that I wonder why I havent' received something similar from other places? Also does lack of such a letter mean lack of interest?

way way way too early to start worrying. some programs download applications quick but don't review them. the person downloading applications is usually a program administrator (i.e., somebody in a secretarial position).

Yep. And he/she generally weeds people out based on photograph and the hobbies/interests section of the application.

:p

I submitted my application late Friday also. My USMLE has not been transmitted yet either, so don't worry.
I didn't fill out any forms, other than the 2 item check list on ERAS. (I have never heard of form 172).
Good luck!

My usmle transcript has been transmitted. Hopefully not with my unknown step 2 score though.
I'm not talking about interview invites but a letter i got from MUSC describing their entire process. It was so informative. I wish that all programs did that and was wondering if I should ask each program for that same information. they don't start reviewing apps until 10/2 so i suspect that other programs might do something similar. It woudl be nice to know though.
anyway I'm only wiating for 1 LOR and my photo to be uploaded.

Yep. And he/she generally weeds people out based on photograph and the hobbies/interests section of the application.

:p

:p[/QUOTE]way way way too early to start worrying. some programs download applications quick but don't review them. the person downloading applications is usually a program administrator (i.e., somebody in a secretarial position).:p[/QUOTE]

Woo, low blow both of you! Some programs it's the program director who reviews the applications and others a whole committee of people - don't think you want to pee-off a committee now do ya? :thumbdown:

BTW, they can't see your picture until you are called to interview - and I know that cuz I have sources :laugh:

Yeah the program director usually sees all the applications, you're right about that. But I think a lot of the time they don't get them until a certain point. The rumor is (unconfirmed, of course) that many program directors have criteria for outright rejection (or invite to interview) that the program coordinator can do without showing the application.

I think I would like to be a program director someday, so I can issue supplemental application materials to everyone who applies with questions that are completely irrelevant like who their favorite WWF wrestler is, how many times they have been in a real fist fight, a list of celebrities that they hate, and so forth.

Yeah the program director usually sees all the applications, you're right about that. But I think a lot of the time they don't get them until a certain point. The rumor is (unconfirmed, of course) that many program directors have criteria for outright rejection (or invite to interview) that the program coordinator can do without showing the application.

I think I would like to be a program director someday, so I can issue supplemental application materials to everyone who applies with questions that are completely irrelevant like who their favorite WWF wrestler is, how many times they have been in a real fist fight, a list of celebrities that they hate, and so forth.

A) Macho Man Randy Savage, followed closely by Irwin R. Schister
B) 4, mostly in grade school
C) My current top 3 are Paris Hilton, the guy who plays Turtle on Entourage, and Kevin Federline

am I UMich material? :D

F machoman randy savage. RIck Flair is the motherf*ckin ****. Whoooow!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Superfly Jimmy Snuka for sure. The man invented nearly every move from the top rope.
2) Three, all in Sofia, Bulgaria, and all involving skinheads. Maybe they could sense the fact that I am 1/8 Pacific Islander:rolleyes: . Unfortunately, two out of the three were odds on the scale of 4:1. Final score: Skinheads 2 Cougarblue 1, with the skinheads getting bonus points for breaking bones.
3) Paris Hilton, the only celebrity who makes me want to gouge out my eyeballs with a soup spoon.

A) Macho Man Randy Savage, followed closely by Irwin R. Schister
B) 4, mostly in grade school
C) My current top 3 are Paris Hilton, the guy who plays Turtle on Entourage, and Kevin Federline

am I UMich material? :D

I think voting for I.R.S. would win you serious points. He and the Honky Tonk Man were my favorites merely because their gimmicks were so stupid.

I haven't watched entourage so I don't know who Turtle is. My top three celebrities I would like to punch:

1) Barbra Streisand
2) Rosie O'Donnell
3) "Focus on the Family" ***** James Dobson

Wasn't his finishing move called "The Write-off" or something like that?

I do think you'd have to toss Doink the Clown into the worst wrestling gimmicks of all time

Is the Cleveland Clinic considered a top-notch program, or just run-of-the-mill?

Judd

pretty good program from what i've heard and witnessed during my interview. Unique issue w/them is that (assuming your ap/cp), they do ap, then cp, then ap, then cp each year. That's kind of a nice blend, instead of just doing straight ap 2 yrs then cp 2 yrs (actually more like 1.5), vs. fully intergretated switching everything 2-3 months.
City is nice too, cold, but decent. I heard they spend literally days doing the heart portion of autopsies from a buddy that's there...being clev clinic, i can understand that.

Yay!

After submitting my 1st application exactly one week ago, I got my 1st interview this morning...woo-hoo!:D

Congrats! and yeah- where?
The programs i applied to are strangely quiet....:scared:

time to start an interview 2007 thread! anencephalic will you do the honors since you have received the first invite?

This is a shameless plug for the pathology program at Boston University. My name is Daniel Remick, M.D. and I just assumed the position of chair of pathology at Boston University.

For those of you interested in pathology training I would strongly recommend looking at our program. The program has been strong in the past and it is the intention of the faculty to continue this tradition.

There are several developments that will make BU and even stronger program.
1) We just moved anatomic pathology into completely new space. The new building is beautiful and state of the art.
2) Over the next 3 years the number of faculty will be expanded from 30 to 45.
3) BU pathology has a strong tradition of excellent teaching both to the medical students and the pathology residents.
4) Scores on the RISE exam (resident in service exam) have been steadily improving.

Check out the website:
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Home.aspx?DepartmentID=63

Prior to coming to Boston University I was the Dean of Admissions at the University of Michigan. In that capacity SDN was frequently read to find out what was being said about Michigan Medical School.

I would strongly encourage people to look carefully at our program.

My name is Daniel Remick, M.D. and I just assumed the position of chair of pathology at Boston University. Prior to coming to Boston University I was the Dean of Admissions at the University of Michigan. In that capacity SDN was frequently read to find out what was being said about Michigan Medical School.
Awesome! Welcome Dr. Remick. Now let's see how long it takes applicants and residents to crawl back out of the woodwork :laugh:

As part of initiation rites:

1) Does BU have a dermatopathology fellowship?
2) What are the passing rates for AP and CP boards at your program?
3) What is the salary range and job location for your most recent batch of pathology residency graduates?

Dr. Remick,

I don't know if there is a way for you to address this at this point, but when I look on ERAS, I couldn't find a link to your website. Thanks for giving it to us!

Are you interested in applicants with research-heavy backgrounds? Does BU have an AP only program? How much research time is funded by your pathology program?

Thank you for the information (and shameless plug).

Awesome! Welcome Dr. Remick. Now let's see how long it takes applicants and residents to crawl back out of the woodwork :laugh:

3) What is the salary range and job location for your most recent batch of pathology residency graduates?

I will try and answer some of the questions that were posted, but since have only been at BU for a short time some investigation will need to be done.

Dermpath we do not have a fellowship
Passing rates, it has been 100% over the past few years, but not on the first time. In the past 2-3 years it has been 100% on the first try.
I do not know the salary range and locations, but will find out and post shortly.

Dr. Remick,

I don't know if there is a way for you to address this at this point, but when I look on ERAS, I couldn't find a link to your website. Thanks for giving it to us!

Are you interested in applicants with research-heavy backgrounds? Does BU have an AP only program? How much research time is funded by your pathology program?

Thank you for the information (and shameless plug).

We are primarily looking for excellence. If your desire is to do research (which makes you a fine person since I mostly do research) then we are interested in you. If you want to be an outstanding service pathologist we are interested in you.

We do not have an AP only program at this point, and most likely will not have one for the next few years.

Some research time is built in, but if you really want to do research you will need to do a post-doctoral fellowship. This would be funded by the principal investigator in the lab where you will be working.

Hope that helps.

I will try and answer some of the questions that were posted, but since have only been at BU for a short time some investigation will need to be done.

Dermpath we do not have a fellowship

ACGME says you do. Has it been closed? I know of someone who did there fellowship there...may have been a few years ago though.

For more information, we do not have a dermpath fellowship, but there is one available through the Department of Dermatology. The fellowship is not run by pathology.

Passing rates for the past 3 years has been 100%, but not on the first try, for both AP and CP. Everyone made it within 2 tries.

We do not track the salaries people are offered, too much private information. We are starting to collect some survey data with some more characteristics about our graduates. Currently most go into community pathology or fellowships.

ACGME says you do. Has it been closed? I know of someone who did there fellowship there...may have been a few years ago though.

For more information, we do not have a dermpath fellowship, but there is one available through the Department of Dermatology. The fellowship is not run by pathology.

Thanks for your info dr. remick! I wish that i could apply to BU...

has anyone recevied any other information from programs? Not just interview invites but process information?

I'm about 90 percent path right now unless I take a last minue reswitch to medicine.

I haven't even started my personal statement. I need to get moving I guess!

Run from medicine I plee! Run and quickly, too! Hello all, I am a 4th year Pathology resident at UHC and I did a year of Internal Medicine because I let my friends talk my dumb ass ino it. Six months into it and I realized I made a big mistake.

Run from medicine I plee! Run and quickly, too! Hello all, I am a 4th year Pathology resident at UHC and I did a year of Internal Medicine because I let my friends talk my dumb ass ino it. Six months into it and I realized I made a big mistake.

Yes, but you rectified the situation in a timely manner...for which you should be commended.

This is a shameless plug for the pathology program at Boston University. My name is Daniel Remick, M.D. and I just assumed the position of chair of pathology at Boston University.

For those of you interested in pathology training I would strongly recommend looking at our program. The program has been strong in the past and it is the intention of the faculty to continue this tradition.

There are several developments that will make BU and even stronger program.
1) We just moved anatomic pathology into completely new space. The new building is beautiful and state of the art.
2) Over the next 3 years the number of faculty will be expanded from 30 to 45.
3) BU pathology has a strong tradition of excellent teaching both to the medical students and the pathology residents.
4) Scores on the RISE exam (resident in service exam) have been steadily improving.

Check out the website:
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Home.aspx?DepartmentID=63

Prior to coming to Boston University I was the Dean of Admissions at the University of Michigan. In that capacity SDN was frequently read to find out what was being said about Michigan Medical School.

I would strongly encourage people to look carefully at our program.

I'm applying for path residency this year.. STEP I & II 233(94)/ 218(89). Want to know whether BU supports and sponsors VISA for IMG's. If yes.. type of VISA.?

Haha, don't worry. I'm almost done with my path elective, and I can say with no hesitation that I will be going into this and never coming back. I would shoot myself 2 weeks into a medicine internship.

Haha, don't worry. I'm almost done with my path elective, and I can say with no hesitation that I will be going into this and never coming back. I would shoot myself 2 weeks into a medicine internship.

It is quite a moment when you realize that your clinical medicine time is now finite. The last day is quite intense.

I'm applying for path residency this year.. STEP I & II 233(94)/ 218(89). Want to know whether BU supports and sponsors VISA for IMG's. If yes.. type of VISA.?

Sorry, we do not sponsor VISA applications for our pathology residents.