Pathology and Step 3

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Big Daddy, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a question for all the pathology-type people here regarding pathology residency and Step 3. Do you guys think it is harder to take Step 3 as a first year resident in path than as a person having done a standard internship or transition year? I am curious whether the prep for Step 3 is any different for a path intern?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Most people do not have much trouble with step 3 regardless of the specialty. I am sure I will spend more time studying the drugs than a more traditional intern. But, I probably read about diseases in general more than other interns. So it likely evens out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. droliver

Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You should be able to take step III hung-over & pass no matter what your specialty

4. pathres

pathres Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would imagine that people in family practice or similar specialties would be able to take Step 3 with little or no preparation. The test generally covers the same topics as Step 2 but focuses more on management. There are plenty of path residents who take step 3 even later than their intern years and they do fine. I just wanted to be done with it so I took it before starting my first year. (There are a few states like Texas which allow you to take it before finishing a year of residency).