1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pathology and Step 3

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Big Daddy, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a question for all the pathology-type people here regarding pathology residency and Step 3. Do you guys think it is harder to take Step 3 as a first year resident in path than as a person having done a standard internship or transition year? I am curious whether the prep for Step 3 is any different for a path intern?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Most people do not have much trouble with step 3 regardless of the specialty. I am sure I will spend more time studying the drugs than a more traditional intern. But, I probably read about diseases in general more than other interns. So it likely evens out.

4. droliver

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You should be able to take step III hung-over & pass no matter what your specialty

5. pathres

pathres Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would imagine that people in family practice or similar specialties would be able to take Step 3 with little or no preparation. The test generally covers the same topics as Step 2 but focuses more on management. There are plenty of path residents who take step 3 even later than their intern years and they do fine. I just wanted to be done with it so I took it before starting my first year. (There are a few states like Texas which allow you to take it before finishing a year of residency).