Pathology and Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Daddy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for all the pathology-type people here regarding pathology residency and Step 3. Do you guys think it is harder to take Step 3 as a first year resident in path than as a person having done a standard internship or transition year? I am curious whether the prep for Step 3 is any different for a path intern?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most people do not have much trouble with step 3 regardless of the specialty. I am sure I will spend more time studying the drugs than a more traditional intern. But, I probably read about diseases in general more than other interns. So it likely evens out.

I would imagine that people in family practice or similar specialties would be able to take Step 3 with little or no preparation. The test generally covers the same topics as Step 2 but focuses more on management. There are plenty of path residents who take step 3 even later than their intern years and they do fine. I just wanted to be done with it so I took it before starting my first year. (There are a few states like Texas which allow you to take it before finishing a year of residency).