Pathology contingency plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachesorangesapples

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, what do people do if they don't match in pathology? I'm a USMD from top 20 med school but my steps suck, step 1 198, step 2ck 210 (second try), step 2cs (pass first time). Doing aways this summer but my neurotic self is still worried.

Thinking about contingency plans. I know post-sophomore fellowships are usually reserved for MS2s but they don't always fill and I've seen some programs with MDs doing a fellowship. I'm considering applying to post-sophomore fellowships at the same time as residency apps...don't want to do a prelim year/ clinical medicine and I am committed to pathology. Any other ideas, paid research fellowships? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

You are at an advantage compared to foreign grads. You have access to your schools Path department. Go to the Path department at your school and ask them to observe or do a rotation. Have you done a rotation?

I'm surprised a US grad from a top 20 program didn't match unless you applied only to top programs. Even with your scores I think you could've gotten in somewhere if you applied broadly. You got into a top 20 school. Cmon that's got to be good to at least get you in the door despite the lackluster scores.

You need to get strong letters of recommendation from academic pathologists. Your Path department should help. That's a good first start.

Did you have any Path letters of rec? Did you apply to another field like Radiology?

There must be some issue with you or your application. No offense but you should've gotten a spot somewhere especially at least through the scramble or whatever they call it nowadays.

Last edited:
If you can fog a mirror and are not a felon you will get a residency in pathology. Sounds like O.P. has not applied yet and has not “not matched” upon my read of his post.
I promise.

Reactions: 2 users