Pathology Elective vs. Research Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unknown125432

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. I recently found out that I am able to switch into an elective month in Nov. I have completed 2 Pathology electives and I am debating between doing another elective vs doing a research month. I know I wont be able to do anything meaningful in one rotation, but I thought it would be good to get some experience in the basics and perhaps have something to talk about in interviews.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Umm... are you a med student? Are you hoping to go into pathology? You need to provide a bit more info to get a useful reply.

Sorry about that. Yes I am a 4th yr medical student (US) and I am applying for a Pathology residency currently. I have completed 2 Path rotations (one in AP and one in CP). Just trying to decide if it would be worth it to do another Path rotation vs. a month of clinical research. Thanks.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about that. Yes I am a 4th yr medical student (US) and I am applying for a Pathology residency currently. I have completed 2 Path rotations (one in AP and one in CP). Just trying to decide if it would be worth it to do another Path rotation vs. a month of clinical research. Thanks.

Two screennames? Nice. Anyways. If you are interested in research then do that. I myself would recommend anyone applying to pathology to get as much exposure to all the areas in path as possible. That way when you go on interviews, you have a lot to talk about, ie. interesting cases. I dont think you can get all that much done in one month in research anyways. Maybe data collection. You will have time during your CP months to work on research if you want to.

I'd suggest clinical months. 2 months of path is enough and research month won't yield much. Consider a derm elective. Would probably help on dermpath rotations.