Pathology Fellwoship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrea17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to go to a high competitive institution for a fellowship in surg path, Mayo Clinic, MD Anderson, Memorial, etc. How difficult is to get those positions? From what i've heard they are given to the best of the best? is that true... and how feasible would be to get it?

Thanks,

Andrea

Members don't see this ad.

Andrea17 said:
I'd like to go to a high competitive institution for a fellowship in surg path, Mayo Clinic, MD Anderson, Memorial, etc. How difficult is to get those positions? From what i've heard they are given to the best of the best? is that true... and how feasible would be to get it?

Thanks,

Andrea

? Best of the best?? According to who? Unni and Klimstra? :laugh: :laugh:
For one, they have like what... dozens of fellows at those places?

I dislike all 3 of those. Im not a big fan of Mayo training for lots of reasons....MSKCC and MDA both are cancer centers which means the cases wont be representative of what the average pathologist sees (even less so than other big academic centers). For me this is very important. I would pick a UCSF, Stanford, JHU or WashU (all 4 pretty much general surgical pathology fellowships, others would be Cleveland Clin, UVA, Duke, BWH etc etc theres lots) over those 3 you mention any day of the week.

IMO None of those places are that competitive, MSKCC needs what? like 7+ fellows a year? All of which have to be outside because they have no residents. Most people in path residencies loathe moving for their fellowship because they have families, roots or whatever.