Pathology & high myopia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canmed1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question...I am very interested in pathology, but worry what effect it will have on the health of my eyes.

I believe I am currently a "high myope" (approximately -8.0 in both eyes), and am only in my early 20s. Will a long career of close-up work and lots of microscope time affect my vision?

I've read conflicting studies, some saying close-work only causes eyestrain, while others state that close-work is a primary factor in progressive myopia.

Please let me know what your thoughts and experiences are.

Thank you!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question...I am very interested in pathology, but worry what effect it will have on the health of my eyes.

I believe I am currently a "high myope" (approximately -8.0 in both eyes), and am only in my early 20s. Will a long career of close-up work and lots of microscope time affect my vision?

I've read conflicting studies, some saying close-work only causes eyestrain, while others state that close-work is a primary factor in progressive myopia.

Please let me know what your thoughts and experiences are.

Thank you!!!:)

I think this is an interesting question, & I'd like to find out more about this also.

Personally, I'm a -9.0 in both eyes. I'm currently in fellowship, & my vision hasn't changed much since I started. I get my eyes checked yearly, & my eyesight is sometimes better, sometimes worse. I'm told it's all w/in the tolerances of the lenses, so there's a minimal difference. Do you know if you're vision has stabilized?

----- Antony

I am definitely not an expert - lots of pathologists I know have pretty severe myopia. A friend of mine (path) had a retinal detachment while working - I understand that this is a risk in severely myopic individuals. This did not affect that individuals career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies so far.

Green Mantis...I don't believe my vision has stabilized, as it continues to deteriorate slightly every year. I've done 6 straight years of post-secondary work (undergrad/med school), so I've been doing a lot of reading and computer work in these past few years.

Pathdoc68...retinal detachment is a big concern of mine. It sounds like your pathology doc friend did well after his retinal detachment. I am young, and already see many "floaters" in my field of vision. Perhaps I'm over reacting?

Any other info would be very much appreciated!

OP: No matter what field you ultimately end up in, definitely make the investment in some high-quality disability insurance when you become a resident.. the better companies will have a very liberal definition of what disability entails, and given your PMH it seems like a prudent move.

Hello - I am -10.5 and -11 and haven't had any trouble. I am much more comfortable in contacts at the scope but generally see much better in contacts than glasses anyway. This hasn't affected my career at all and I don't think my eyes have gotten significantly worse since I started (am entering my third year of residency).

F'd up program... oh, wait, wrong thread...