Pathology = job satisfaction + good compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU Pathology

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medscape just released the 2013 physician survey result which contains more good news for those interested in a career in pathology. Medscape surveyed about 22,000 practicing physicians. Pathology annual compensation was $242,000 which is up 12% compared to last year. Academic physicians earn about 72% of pathologists in private practice. Interestingly, pathology was the 4th most satisfied specialty, after dermatology, HIV physicians, and oncologists. Additionally, 64% of pathologists feel fairly compensated. Board certification substantially increased compensation.

For those considering pathology as a career, information from more than 400 pathologists (2% of 22,000) shows that pathologists are well compensated and satisfied with their careers.

The full slide deck may be found here:

http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2013/public

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Chair and Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

Additionally, 64% of pathologists feel fairly compensated.

Well, good for those 440 x 0.64 = 282 pathologists. They richly deserve this year's CMS cuts, and the ones coming next year, and the year after that...

Reactions: 1 user
Wasn't there a recent threat on cuts? (or was it 10+ threads)

Members don't see this ad :)
After enduring the cuts we are about to take, and those coming down the pipeline in the next few years, from the horses mouth no less, spoken like sages that CMS is, combined with the ill effects of throwing many people off the insurance rolls and into Medicaid because of obamacare, these statistics are as relevant as typewriters.

Let's also mention that academic pathologists sit at the top of the pyramid requiring boatloads of subsidized residents bringing in 200k or so every year a person. When academic pathologists are exposed to market forces the rest of us are, only then will we listen. At this time I hear "give us more handouts" when I hear them encourage any naive young person down this treacherous trail.

Reactions: 1 user
That is a pathetic survey if less than 300 pathologists responded. Ask them again in a few years after these cuts. I watched a bunch of pathologists shown the door when a prominent lab closed recently. Ask them their opinions about the job.

Seriously, is pathology the only speciality that does work for LESS than medicaid just to get referrals from other physicians? That tells you everything you need to know about the field. IT IS SATURATED and has a false market created by client billing and other unethical billing practices. We dont need probably a third to even half the pathologists practicing in this country. Now way would I consider this field if I were a med student unless many of the residency programs close.