Pathology movie coming to theatres

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by WEBB PINKERTON, Aug 31, 2015.

1. WEBB PINKERTON

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
  2. coroner

coroner Peace Sells...but who's buying?
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not going to see it in the cinema, maybe when it comes out on premium networks. Either way it looks more interesting than this dud which certainly wasn't gunning for any Academy Award nominations...

Pathology (2008)

3. WEBB PINKERTON

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    That Pathology movie from 2008 was horrible. At least it had Alyssa Milano in it though. :kiss:

"The Fugitive" sure didn't do much for the image of pathologists. The villain is a pathologist.

4. coroner

Attending Physician
    Yeah, that Alyssa Milano is still easy on the eyes, even though she's older than me by a few years...

'The Fugitive' became a box office success and garnered 7 Academy Award nominations in the early '90s, and the antagonist/villain was in fact a pathologist [edit] cardiologist . After it's release, a few years later, our field started to go downhill with reimbursement cuts and oversupply :laugh:

#4 coroner, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  5. Ziehl-Neelsen

Ziehl-Neelsen I'm perfectly calm, dude.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The villain was a cardiologist. He was in bed with the drug company to get approval for a statin equivalent that was shown to have unacceptable hepatotoxic side effects. The pathologist had seen the original liver biopsies on the study patients and diagnosed the hepatic necrosis. She let Dr. Kimball know that liver biopsies from the study patients had been switched for sections of histologically normal liver confirming Kimball's suspicions that the investigators were falsifying the evidence to get the drug approved. The pathologist was a little noted nor long-remembered (but essential) part of finding out the truth--kind of like real life.

Anyway, Pathology (the movie) came out while I was a resident. I kept waiting for the drug-addled orgy that takes place in the morgue to happen amongst my residency classmates, but alas...

#5 Ziehl-Neelsen, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    gbwillner likes this.
  6. coroner

Attending Physician
    Good call, Ziehl. Haven't seen that movie in about twenty years. Pathologist gives critical info which allows surgeon (Harrison Ford) towards redeeming his reputation and we forget that. Like you said, art imitating life perhaps...

7. WEBB PINKERTON

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Been probably 20 years since I saw The Fugitive as well. My memory of the villain is cloudy and I thought it was a pathologist. Surprised the "Know Error" people don't use that movie to push their product. :greedy:

I do remember Sela Ward looking smoking hot in that movie though. Too bad she didn't have a larger role. :love:

8. LADoc00

LADoc00 Gen X, the last great generation
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I actually know Dr. Omalu. I need to get his autograph now...once Will Smith plays you in a movie, you are legit.

9. gbwillner

gbwillner Pastafarian
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Pathology (2008) was so bad it was good. I loved it. Ignore the fact that they seem to think pathology=forensics, and you have a very trippy, morally ambiguous, and unconventional movie that I found to have high entertainment value (pun intended?). The plot centered around residents that would murder people in clever ways, just to see if the other residents could figure out the cause of death. I pretty sure at one point they were smoking crack on a cadaver.

10. unknown1254

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha, I actually watched The Fugitive a few weeks ago. One of the pathologists was played by Jane Lynch (aka Sue Slyvester from Glee). They actually show a nice shot of the liver H&E too. Its nice to see a TV character that shows the rare pathologist that doesn't practice forensics........

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0003754/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t62

11. WEBB PINKERTON

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If I were casting this movie, I would have gotten Forest Whitacker for the role. Better actor. Loved him in Last King of Scotland, Fast times ridgemont high etc. They needed Will Smith I guess to get people to come see a boring movie. Seriously, how interesting could this possibly be? I bet they make the NFL look horrible and it will be the same hollywood narrative- Evil corporation vs the "little guy".

I hope the new Star Wars movie is good.

12. GOLJANOID

GOLJANOID The other 1's THE OTHER 1
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Can't tell whether you're saying that because you're tired of cliche Hollywood narratives, or if you seriously doubt the actual story (or at least the story as told by PBS's FRONTLINE http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/ -- which is, indeed, a David-vs-Goliath-esque type of narrative)

13. mlw03

mlw03 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Doing a little bump because I finally saw Concussion. Entertaining movie, some parts more than others. They didn't really get into the medicine very much at all, rather it was mainly about Dr. Omalu's life, and his interactions with the NFL (which comes off looking very, very bad I have to say). I will admit it has made me want to do a bit more reading on the topic of CTE. As a forensic pathologist, I'd be very curious to know if Dr. Omalu actually put CTE in part 2 of the death certificate of any of those player's suicides. I can tell folks that in the case of a routine suicidal hanging in a patient with a formal diagnosis of major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, or another serious axis 1 diagnosis, there is not uniform practice among North American FPs about this. That is, some will put the psychiatric disease in part 2, others don't. But putting organic disease would be much more controversial for sure.

Anyway, what did others think of this movie?

Autopsy101 likes this.
  14. WEBB PINKERTON

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    They shouldn't have made it look like the feds/NFL went after Cyril Wecht because of his support of Bennet. That was very disappointing and had me wondering if Oliver Stone directed the movie. It was obvious they weren't going to portray the NFL very well but making it look like they caused a miscarriage and went after another forensic pathology to send a message was too much. I give the movie two thumbs down. Typical hollywood formula pic.

I heard a while back that Will Smith was the first choice to play Neo in the Matrix trilogy but turned it down to do the Wild Wild West. I can't imagine anyone but Keanu Reeves as Neo.

15. thebouque

5+ Year Member

Will Smith turned down Tarantino's Django unchained too... Seems like he's having a tough time choosing his movies. The days of the fresh prince are long gone.

16. Ishie1013

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    But at least we got the cinematic masterpiece that is "After Earth". I do kind of want Will Smith to play me in a movie.

17. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agree - the Cyril Wecht stuff seemed forced to me. It was an ok movie, nothing special. There was a little too much simplification of a lot of the technical aspects, but I guess that is to be expected.