Pathology not as bad as I thought?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathres9999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
After discussion with other members on this forum I have realized how wrong I was in my assessment of the pathology job market. In confirmation, I had talked to some senior academic pathologists who were saying how trainees only seem to care about money and stability losing sight of the professional aspect of pathology. They also had many good points about how trainees aren't ready out of residency (not because of lack of training) but that pathology has become so complicated that require so many years. I mean you wouldn't want to try riding a bike without 5-6 years of watching others do it right?

Also, with how much healthcare costs and isn't accessible, I think its only fair to the patients to have more pathologists. By having more graduates, pathology groups can finally have more choice in selecting the best candidate (surprising how many bad candidates there are after medical school and extensive training, but it is what it is). If you think about it, making more than 200K as a new grad is silly anyway, since that's more than enough money and is completely selfish with regards to the average American. I think we need to realize our privilege and try to give back more to the community.

Next time you are tempted to talk bad about pathology you should ask yourself this. If pathology is so bad, where are all the academic funded papers stating as such? Did you know some places are struggling to fill their instructorship and junior faculty positions? Even with two fellowships being an average, it's still only 6 years of training, so why is it worse than other fields (even assuming you don't get to use your fellowship training)? What will my negative statements about pathology do to discourage medical students from this promising field?

I know this is an unpopular sentiment of late, but just some food for thought.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Can't tell if this is satire or not

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3Sc.gif

If pathology is so bad, where are all the academic funded papers stating as such? Did you know some places are struggling to fill their instructorship and junior faculty positions? Even with two fellowships being an average, it's still only 6 years of training, so why is it worse than other fields (even assuming you don't get to use your fellowship training)?
[Citation Needed] x 3

Also, if places are struggling to fill positions, doesn't this mean that there applicants are choosing not to take jobs, meaning they have choice? Doesn't this suggest the market is not as bad as you (and others say) since the proletariat pathology class can afford to not take a bad job? Doesn't this presume there are better jobs available for them????

And FYI, before you post a publication, please read it first, so we can avoid what happened last time.

How dare you imply that a very successful pathologist is somehow “selfish”. Are you in practice? Private practice, where you have to eat what you can kill? In the years I spent in PP before we bailed I gave out more “free” work product than most people make in a career. That is a no *hitter!

So I am trying to find locums for some vacation spots in my group and the CHEAPEST rate right now is $2063/8 hr day. I've had several CVs come my way asking for $2100/day or higher with some interesting job restrictions. A LOT of groups are hiring at the moment, too. It seems like it's not really a buyer's market anymore.

So I am trying to find locums for some vacation spots in my group and the CHEAPEST rate right now is $2063/8 hr day. I've had several CVs come my way asking for $2100/day or higher with some interesting job restrictions. A LOT of groups are hiring at the moment, too. It seems like it's not really a buyer's market anymore.
if that's through a locums co, only about half that amount goes to the doc in the form of salary

if that's through a locums co, only about half that amount goes to the doc in the form of salary
Usually its more like 70% but your point is valid- a large chunk of this goes to pay for the recruiting companies. They bear a bulk of expenses as well, such as travel and per diem if the physician is remote.

As I had mentioned before, I still try to keep my finger on the pulse of this sector and it does seem to be getting better for path slowly. I do think retirements are increasing. If you have not already, and are 65+, RETIRE. Unless you have really screwed up, you have more than enough money for a comfortable retirement. “Well”, you say. “I like my job, intellectual stimulation, blah, blah, blah.” Perhaps if you retire, you can find out how much fun you can have with that money. And, if you are like I was, I neglected aspects of my health care because I was just too busy. And I could take care of things with the old “curb side consult” with my numerous buddies on the medical staff. After retirement and seeing a Dr. “ for real” it literally saved my life.

I think they receive a larger percentage, but a couple of years ago ~1500/day was kind of the norm. The market is very very good otherwise for those seeking jobs.

In my neighborhood (near large city 25+ grads a year, multiple training programs) jobs must be by word of mouth then as I’m not seeing many jobs posted online near my vicinity (1-2 hours away from city). There are some that pop up here and there however online.

Glad to see more jobs opening up for grads though.

Last edited:
In my neighborhood (near large city 25+ grads a year, multiple training programs) jobs must be by word of mouth then as I’m not seeing many jobs posted online near my vicinity (1-2 hours away from city). There are some that pop up here and there however online.

Glad to see more jobs opening up for grads though.

I think the “word of mouth” pathway is always going to be the best path if you can get it. My view may be a little skewed though because the military always had a huge word of mouth pipeline. And it was damned near all PP jobs.

A LOT of groups are hiring at the moment, too. It seems like it's not really a buyer's market anymore.
I do think retirements are increasing.
Is this the "massive retirement cliff" the CAP has been talking about for the last 10-15 years...? In other news, there was a chupacabra sighting just outside of Lake Minnetonka, MN.

And it was damned near all PP jobs.
Times have changed. There was no internet back then to advertise. It was either contacts/"word of mouth" or posting an ad in the back of a medical journal for a position that might have been filled by the time you read it one month later.

There's still a chunk of PP jobs that fill positions through contacts only. But, the proportion of filled positions through online advertisements now has caused jobs filled via contacts to significantly decrease; and, the internet is now the #1 way new grads find jobs. I am in a private group and there is a large academic center/university hospital with a medium sized pathology residency program with multiple fellowships about a half hour from us. Yet, we still have advertised online in the past few years when we've had openings. I have also talked to other pathologists in other parts of the country in various conferences and quite a few have said they also advertise online because they can reach out to potentially excellent candidates who otherwise they wouldn't know about if they only restricted themselves to the buddy system.
I think the “word of mouth” pathway is always going to be the best path if you can get it.
I agree, there are some hidden gems out there that exclusively go thru contacts only. I was contacted for a job like this before, but they passed on me...haha. But as you said, "if you can get it", and that's a big "if". On another note, I've also been contacted from private groups for what turned out to be very ordinary, run-of-the-mill type jobs as well. So just because someone reaches out to you via contacts for an unadvertised, private practice job doesn't always mean it's a hidden gem either...

Last edited:
You are exactly correct. There was no internet and it WAS only word of mouth or journal ads come to think of it. So, for any of you folks out there like me, RETIRE!