Pathology Program Rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benni

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's hard for me to get an idea of the prowess of some of the pathology programs and I don't have a very good advisor so I thought I would ask about popular opinion. I'm looking for your ideas on rank or how pathologists coming from these programs are viewed (with high or low esteem). Here are some of the options I'm toiling over:

1. Cedars-Sinai (L.A.)
2. UCLA
3. University of New Mexico
4. University of South Florida
5. Emory
6. University of Washington (Seattle, WA)
7. UCSD
8. University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio
9. University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ)
10. UC Davis
11. Tulane
12. Jackson Memorial (Miami, FL)

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard for me to get an idea of the prowess of some of the pathology programs and I don't have a very good advisor so I thought I would ask about popular opinion. I'm looking for your ideas on rank or how pathologists coming from these programs are viewed (with high or low esteem). Here are some of the options I'm toiling over:

1. Cedars-Sinai (L.A.)
2. UCLA
5. Emory
7. UCSD
10. UC Davis
11. Tulane

It's simple. Go to the best program where you want to end up practicing.

It's simple. Go to the best program where you want to end up practicing.

I thought of this, however I think some of these programs have a lot to offer but are located in very saturated markets. For example, the southern Cali job market is said to be quite saturated and I'm told your prospect for getting a job there is low (comparatively of course, nothing is absolute). However, UCLA and Cedars are strong programs with several fellowships to choose from that could arguably help you succeed in other, less saturated markets.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought of this, however I think some of these programs have a lot to offer but are located in very saturated markets. For example, the southern Cali job market is said to be quite saturated and I'm told your prospect for getting a job there is low (comparatively of course, nothing is absolute). However, UCLA and Cedars are strong programs with several fellowships to choose from that could arguably help you succeed in other, less saturated markets.

There was a post here from a UCLA resident and he/she stated that all their graduating residents obtained jobs either in SoCal area or out of state.

1. Cedars-Sinai (L.A.)
2. UCLA
5. Emory
7. UCSD
10. UC Davis
11. Tulane

UNM, UW, Emory would be my top 3 from that list.

UNM, UW, Emory would be my top 3 from that list.

Agreed, those 3 stood out to me as well. Probably UCLA also. With 1 caveat: If there's a subspecialty fellowship you will likely want to do (and I'm not expecting you to at this point so don't feel any pressure), make sure you go to a program that has that fellowship (and preferably has a track record of taking internal candidates). If not sure about fellowship yet, make sure the program offers a good range of fellowships, in particular the more competitive ones since it's not all that hard as an outside candidate to get the less competitive spots. I very well may be mistaken, but I would think these 4 would go UCLA/Emory>UW>UNM with this respect.

And I slightly disagree with the train where you want to practice philosophy. I have personally seen trainees from big name programs be hired in the city where I trained over local candidates with the same fellowship training simply because of their pedigree. Not to mention that they are likely better diagnostically having been at a higher volume insitution.

1. Cedars-Sinai (L.A.)
2. UCLA
5. Emory
7. UCSD
10. UC Davis
11. Tulane

It looks like avoiding crappy winter climates is your #1 goal. All of these programs score high in the PCS rankings when it comes to climate with UCSD edging out UCLA and Cedars followed by Arizona, USF, Miami, Seattle, UNM, New Orleans, San Antonio and Emory. That's how the PCS ranks them with respect to climate. If you like it hot and humid in the summer then consider bumping up New Orleans, SA and Altanta. USF and Miami are of course somewhat miserable in the summer but spring fall and winter there help lift them above Seattle and UNM.

In fact UCSD is actually ranked #2 with respect to climate trailing only the clear cut #1, HAWAII.

Last edited:
It looks like avoiding crappy winter climates is your #1 goal. All of these programs score high in the PCS rankings when it comes to climate with UCSD edging out UCLA and Cedars followed by Arizona, USF, Miami, Seattle, UNM, New Orleans, San Antonio and Emory. That's how the PCS ranks them with respect to climate. If you like it hot and humid in the summer then consider bumping up New Orleans, SA and Altanta. USF and Miami are of course somewhat miserable in the summer but spring fall and winter there help lift them above Seattle and UNM.

In fact UCSD is actually ranked #2 with respect to climate trailing only the clear cut #1, HAWAII.

Here's my top 20 PCS Rankings for climate and location.

#1-Hawaii
#2-UCSD and Naval Medical Center
#3-UCLA
#4-Cedars Sinai (because that's where the celebs go)
#5-LA Harbor UCLA
#6-USC
#7-UC-Irvine
#8-#20 - anywhere in Texas and Florida

Here's my top 20 PCS Rankings for climate and location.

#1-Hawaii
#2-UCSD and Naval Medical Center
#3-UCLA
#4-Cedars Sinai (because that's where the celebs go)
#5-LA Harbor UCLA
#6-USC
#7-UC-Irvine
#8-#20 - anywhere in Texas and Florida

I would put irvine over USC. Isn't USC almost in East LA? Too hot and smoggy. I don't know about LA harbor or where it is.

I would put irvine over USC. Isn't USC almost in East LA? Too hot and smoggy. I don't know about LA harbor or where it is.

USC is near East LA. Harbor UCLA is in Torrance.

Your list has a pretty diverse set of programs. Most are in warmer parts of the US w/ the exception of UW. There's quite a range in terms of program size & also number of fellowships they offer.

Some programs (UCI & USC) require you to travel to other hospitals, which aren't necessarily close by. Being in the LA/OC area, commute times can vary. It kind of makes it difficult to find an ideal place to live.

I do have one comment in regards to UCLA in response to an earlier post. Most of their graduates usually end up getting jobs in SoCal because they just stayed on & did fellowship (or another fellowship) until they found something.

----- Antony

I have a southern U.S. or Western U.S. preference. I don't have any family or ties in the midwest or northeast, hence the fact that I have left them out.

I like good weather BUT I just want to get a feel for what other people think about the REPUTATION of these programs b/c yes, I do have quite a varied list. There's obviously no one way to learn pathology, but knowing what people think of my program allows me to know what kind of job opportunities and fellowship opportunities (in case I end up being interested in fellowship that my chosen program doesn't have -- such as gyn path for example).

So far the discussion about UNM, Emory and UW has been EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you so much for the comments.