Pathology Requests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optionfirst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused about how other Pathology Departments work in terms of accepting Pathology requests for patients on clinical studies.

Some people make requests without specifically saying the slides or block are for a clinical trial...

does anyone have any source as to the legality of this so I can bring it up or change it? Also, input from your department would be awesome,

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You mean, other non-pathology specialties using tissue, slides, or reports you generated in publications without notifying or crediting you or your department?

When I was a resident, we couldn't really track who was doing what with our reports, which became part of the patient's record. Tissue, cassettes, slides, and images we generated, however, we could. If a clinician requested slides they could sign them out, however where I was at it was essentially impossible, or very expensive, for them to generate microscopic images without us. So when they asked we made it a habit of inquiring why they wanted images, and generally refused unless they agreed to properly credit us. As much as everyone wanted to play nice with the other specialties, if we didn't take a stand we were walked over night and day.

I can understand a clinician using reports and basic pathology "results" in a research project, without going above and beyond to credit every faculty member and resident who touched the specimens. But as soon as you're asked to do or provide something extra, you, or at least the department, should get properly credited.

If you mean they're requesting other stains or what have you which aren't usual diagnostic steps, then everyone needs to be on board ahead of time -- additional research-only studies have to be billed/paid for separately, and all the appropriate IRB approvals given.

Well it's more about the issue of patients who are outside institutions that go on clinical studies have requests sent for slides/cassettes/etc.

The outside institutions, I believe, are trying to limit patient health information by giving us very few identifiers, and at times will not tell us directly if the patient is on a clinical study even if it seems obvious.

I was wondering if, when outside institutions request slides/blocks/etc.are they required to say it's for the patients clinical trial or do they just need a pathology release form?

I hope that clarifies things,

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I think I see. I don't -recall- working with a policy specific to that -- if an outside institution requested slides for one of their patients, we provided them. Having their own pathologists look at material for patients entering into a study protocol isn't, I don't think, above and beyond patient care. Some institutions, or departments/specific clinicians at certain institutions, already request slides on every new patient that comes to them. Someone more current at dealing with surg path administration might answer better.

Every request I get has a reason - "second opinion," "patient transferring their care" or "patient is in a research study." I haven't seen one lately where the patient just said "send my slides to X."