Pathology residency interviews.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathohanks

Reaction score
Hello, my fellow pathology colleagues. I want to have some insight from you guys. I am an average Non-US IMG with STEP scores in mid 220s and 211 on STEP 3. I have received only 1 IV so far and worried about my progress. My only red flag is my YOG 2014. I have multiple USCEs but they are not in pathology. Do you think that's the reason for the low number of Interviews so far? do you think I am in hot waters? should I expect more IVs to come as the season progresses?? Thank you very much for your time guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Graduated a long time ago and no pathology hands on experience are red flags. You may get a few interviews (1-2) from here on out but maybe none. No US or even foreign Path experience is a BIG major red flag.

Why did you not do rotations in Pathology when you had a chance to get some Path exposure? You mentioned you did some US rotations but NONE in Pathology? I’m also assuming you have no letters of recommendation from pathologists?

Last edited:
Graduated a long time ago and no pathology hands on experience are red flags. You may get a few interviews (1-2) from here on out but maybe none. No US or even foreign Path experience is a BIG major red flag.

Why did you not do rotations in Pathology when you had a chance to get some Path exposure? You mentioned you did some US rotations but NONE in Pathology? I’m also assuming you have no letters of recommendation from pathologists?
No, I did use two from my home country. I am currently working as an RMO in the Pathology department and also give lectures to 3rd and 4th yr about Pathology. I have tried multiple times reaching out for observerships in pathology but it's really hard to get one. The one I had got canceled due to the pandemic. I did two weeks of the virtual session with the VCU pathology department.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven’t had more interviews by now chances are not that good. Sorry to say!

No, I did use two from my home country. I am currently working as an RMO in the Pathology department and also give lectures to 3rd and 4th yr about Pathology. I have tried multiple times reaching out for observerships in pathology but it's really hard to get one. The one I had got canceled due to the pandemic. I did two weeks of the virtual session with the VCU pathology department.

It will be difficult to get more interviews from here on out. You may get 1-2 if programs have ppl who decline their interviews. What have you been doing since 2016? Everyone will ask you that. What’s an RMO? Teaching pathology is better than nothing but not impressive to grant an interview especially to foreign grad. You need to do surgpath rotations and spend a lot of time at the scope. Two weeks of virtual session is a start. It’s difficult now esp with Covid for foreigners to get any observerships. Did you do a residency after graduating? If no, then why not? You will be asked all these questions by the way.

If you haven’t had more interviews by now chances are not that good. Sorry to say!
Does Pathology sends out invites in waves just like other specialties or is it just a one time go. There are 30 % of programs who have yet to send out invites.

Does Pathology sends out invites in waves just like other specialties or is it just a one time go. There are 30 % of programs who have yet to send out invites.
Depends on the program, but usually once PD reviews applicants they send out invites. Most of them within 2 weeks of ERAS opening. We are still reviewing some applications, but most of our interview slots (50 out of 60) are filled. As mentioned above there will be more invites sent out later on if applicants decide to cancel an interview or we open 1 more day in January.