pathology residency numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E.A. Poe

the man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the range of numbers are (step 1 score, basic science grades, clerkship grades outside of path rotation) that are needed for placement in a path residency? I'm talking about the average program in terms of competitiveness, but anyone who wanted to throw out numbers for the most and least competitive programs as well would be most welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Search the forums...I think there is a sticky that may answer some of your questions...

There are no hard and fast numbers. Passing everything (boards, clerkships, etc) is generally satisfactory for most programs - then they will evaluate you based on other factors like interview, LOR, extra stuff, etc.

For the better programs they look a bit more closely at boards and grades but even then the other parts of the application are still probably more important. But doing well (AOA or equivalent) on grades and well (like above the mean) on step I will often get you interviews at most programs, all things being equal.

This breaks down if you are not an american grad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically you need to beat yaah on step 1 and/or step 2. I believe he posted his scores in the stickies as well.

I'm just messing. Based on what I've read on this site, if you hit around national mean or go above it on step 1 you're fine. Only few schools have reported cutoffs (such as Duke which requires a step 1 two-digit score above 80; and there are rumors that Hopkins may have cutoffs too...but those aren't your average programs :laugh: ).

As for grades, based on personal experience, passing is good; getting decent grades (i.e., High Pass or B's) is better. AOA is not needed whatsoever....well I say that now :laugh:

This isn't related to the scores required for getting into residency, but I got an email yesterday from Case/University Hospitals of Cleveland about the applicant pool this year. Here's what it says:

"Nationally there were 1449 applicants in pathology this year, 580 of whom were graduates of US or Canadian medical schools. Interest in pathology among US/Canadian graduates increased about 14% since the 2004 Match."

Does anyone know how many US and Canadian medical students graduate each year? It will also be interesting to see how many total spots are available after the programs finalize their quotas this month. These 2 pieces of info will help figure out how competitive path has become.

geddy said:
This isn't related to the scores required for getting into residency, but I got an email yesterday from Case/University Hospitals of Cleveland about the applicant pool this year. Here's what it says:

"Nationally there were 1449 applicants in pathology this year, 580 of whom were graduates of US or Canadian medical schools. Interest in pathology among US/Canadian graduates increased about 14% since the 2004 Match."

Does anyone know how many US and Canadian medical students graduate each year? It will also be interesting to see how many total spots are available after the programs finalize their quotas this month. These 2 pieces of info will help figure out how competitive path has become.

Only 1/3 of path resident applicants are American?? Holy cow, suddenly I feel like a migrant farm worker. Does it say pathology residents need to carry their green cards at all times? No wonder the INS is snooping around at ASCP conferences...What if the INS started raiding gross rooms after hours? I remember interviewing at MGH and it had the feel of a UN program. I remember they brought the only Americans who were UofChicago grads to have lunch with us. I was thinking at the time this was so "People Under the Stairs" since Nancy Lee Harris went out of her way to 'hide' the foreign laborers...like a Nike plant in Thailand or something...raise your hand if English is your first language :laugh:

Hold it! I know, pathology must be one of those jobs "Immigrants do because Americans wont"

wow, my self image is through the roof now! Thanks for posting this.

I think the "only 1/3 are american" stat comes up because it is almost like John Edwards and his "two americas" garbage. There are the large university type and selected community programs which get lots of US applicants and foreign grads, and can choose freely from among them. Then there are the smaller university programs, some large university programs, and tons of smaller community programs. That is where most of the spots are.

yaah said:
I think the "only 1/3 are american" stat comes up because it is almost like John Edwards and his "two americas" garbage. There are the large university type and selected community programs which get lots of US applicants and foreign grads, and can choose freely from among them. Then there are the smaller university programs, some large university programs, and tons of smaller community programs. That is where most of the spots are.

Not familiar with the "2 Americas" thing, is the basic idea there is a crappy America where everyone is poor and ugly and a beautiful America where everyone looks like Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston and are rich?

Oh ****, I think I know which America I live in!! :eek:

LADoc00 said:
Not familiar with the "2 Americas" thing, is the basic idea there is a crappy America where everyone is poor and ugly and a beautiful America where everyone looks like Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston and are rich?

Say hi to Brad for me. :)
PDTM

LADoc00 said:

It's part of John Edwards BS bull**** argument about how there is "one america" that has money, support, good paying jobs, health care, makes impulse buys, etc; and there is another america that does all the work, gets no health insurance, and works from paycheck to paycheck. Guess it didn't work. I don't think it has anything to do with looks though. :p

yaah said:
It's part of John Edwards BS bull**** argument about how there is "one america" that has money, support, good paying jobs, health care, makes impulse buys, etc; and there is another america that does all the work, gets no health insurance, and works from paycheck to paycheck. Guess it didn't work. I don't think it has anything to do with looks though. :p

Do all the work-Check
Paycheck to paycheck-Check
Impulse buys-Only of Ramen noodles on sale and computer games because everyone needs a vice, not check
Support-No, unless you count women I email on craigslist, not check

Im squarely in the second America then. But I have health insurance so I can peek into the first America.

Maybe we should henceforth refer to them as America (where Brad and Jennifer live) and Amerika (where the trailerpark people live).

Okay, who is doing their residency in Amerika? The answer: All of you.
muhahahahaa

AndyMilonakis said:
*BONK!*

****, wrong thread.
Wow, no kidding! I thought I would just post some interesting info about path residency numbers this year and suddenly we are back in politics... just can't avoid it. :confused:

We're all done talking about politics. I was just making fun of John Edwards and comparing it to the path residency situation. It had very little to do with politics, just a way to try to explain why there are so many more spots than US grads, but yet US grads continue to talk about how competitive it is. There are just a lot of undesirable spots out there, is the simple answer. Although "Undesirable" is differently defined by everyone.