Pathology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonJuanMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am about to enter Pathology pre residency... Any tips what to read? what do I expect in the training? what should I know? I am kind of lost here. Orignally I intended to enter radiology but was advised to join pathology instead...

Members don't see this ad.

Go to radiology please. You need to have passion for pathology to succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Egad. Okay, still time.

Molavi: The Practice of Surgical Pathology: A Beginner's Guide to the Diagnostic Process: Frequently referred to as "Surg Path for Dummies". This will give you the basics on everything from basic microscope use, dealing with "seasickness" and basic diagnoses. You'll need one of the big boy manuals when you get in, but wait to see what the hospital uses.

Histology for Pathologists is also a good one. I tended to skim or skip the embryology but it's hard to know what's not normal if you don't know what normal is.

Hopefully you already have a Robbins from med school and a passing familiarity with it.

Expectations: Steep learning curve. Most people feel like *****s when they start. It gets better. Grossing, read out, and sign out time will depend on where you are. Surgical pathology will consume a lot of your life. Grossing is the time you spend turning surgical specimens into representative sections for you to examine later. Read out is how much time you get left alone to construct your diagnoses. Sign out is when you sit with the attendings and they tell you all the reasons you're wrong. You'll be doing 50 autopsies at some point during your training. At hospitals with an active forensic program, there are months dedicated to this. At places where bodies are scarce, there will be a system in place so residents get an opportunity to get their numbers. You will have a number of different rotations where you learn different fields of pathology. Examples are blood bank, hematopathology, cytopathology, clinical chemistry, etc. For the "CP" rotations, it's nice to actually get hands on time when you're there rather than just reading the giant CP manual (Henry's; don't try reading it before residency; you'll die).

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Egad. Okay, still time.

Molavi: The Practice of Surgical Pathology: A Beginner's Guide to the Diagnostic Process: Frequently referred to as "Surg Path for Dummies". This will give you the basics on everything from basic microscope use, dealing with "seasickness" and basic diagnoses. You'll need one of the big boy manuals when you get in, but wait to see what the hospital uses.

Histology for Pathologists is also a good one. I tended to skim or skip the embryology but it's hard to know what's not normal if you don't know what normal is.

Hopefully you already have a Robbins from med school and a passing familiarity with it.

Expectations: Steep learning curve. Most people feel like *****s when they start. It gets better. Grossing, read out, and sign out time will depend on where you are. Surgical pathology will consume a lot of your life. Grossing is the time you spend turning surgical specimens into representative sections for you to examine later. Read out is how much time you get left alone to construct your diagnoses. Sign out is when you sit with the attendings and they tell you all the reasons you're wrong. You'll be doing 50 autopsies at some point during your training. At hospitals with an active forensic program, there are months dedicated to this. At places where bodies are scarce, there will be a system in place so residents get an opportunity to get their numbers. You will have a number of different rotations where you learn different fields of pathology. Examples are blood bank, hematopathology, cytopathology, clinical chemistry, etc. For the "CP" rotations, it's nice to actually get hands on time when you're there rather than just reading the giant CP manual (Henry's; don't try reading it before residency; you'll die).

Good luck.

thank you so much. I will be starting early november! :)
Started reading histology for pathologists and some summarized manual... thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
Can you tell which is easy subject Pathology or emergency medicine for residency