Pathology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flintstone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering to go into Pathology and I am considering to either attend MSUCOM or AZCOM. Is Pathology very competitive to match into? According to published data, in the AOA 2002 match, MSUCOM has a match rate of 89.3% while AZCOM's is 26.60% (http://www.com.msu.edu/scs/info/downloads.html, click on Other Download...). Does that mean I have a higher chance to get into Pathology if I graduate from MSUCOM? Another problem is I want to obtain a residency in the west coast. In this case, would AZCOM be better?

Any input or experience? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Flintstone,
Perhaps I'm not reading those numbers correctly (and the link doesn't seem to work), but the numbers for AZCOM seem very low. What do you mean by "match rate"? Virtually all students at all US medical schools match somewhere. Are you referring to their first choice residencies/internships? Even so, these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.

Pathology is generally not considered a very competitive residency. However, like any specialty, it becomes more competitive at top institutions. Overall you probably won't have trouble obtaining a path spot unless there is a dramatic increase in its popularity over the next few years. Good luck.

Thanks Claymore!

I believe the % refer to the portion of students applied to AOA internships; and I think the low rate for AZCOM just means that relatively less students from AZCOM applied to AOA internships. The list doesn't show the overall matched % for both allopathic and osteopathic residencies. (http://www.com.msu.edu/scs/info/downloads.html)

I want to find out how many students from AZCOM, MSUCOM, CCOM matched to their first/second choices. I have trouble obtaining these data. I think this info may help me decide which school to go to. It is good to learn that Pathology is not a very competitive program, though things may have changed by the time I apply....

I've just got into med school and am trying to learn more about matching and residency, etc. Am very confused in the matching business. Do we have 2 matches (National Match and AOA match??)? Do we need to pick one?:confused: