Test Tools Pathology Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LWW Publishers

Test Prep Exhibitor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for questions and discussion related to resources for pathology. In this thread, LWW will be raffling off one copy of: Rubin’s Pathology: Clinicopathologic Foundations of Medicine, 5e. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product(s) or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Rubin's Pathology: Clinicopathologic Foundations of Medicine, 5e—Comprehensive pathology textbook that takes a clinical approach ideal for medical students. In a highly organized format that emphasizes pathogenesis, Rubin’s Pathology features over 1300 superb images and full-color illustrations. A companion website offers online text and images, interactive case studies, audio review questions, and podcast summary lectures.

Essentials of Rubin's Pathology, 5e

Lippincott's Review of Pathology: Illustrated, Interactive Q & A—Over 1100 higher-order USMLE-style questions, answers, and explanations. Includes abundant color images and comes with a companion website.

BRS Pathology, 4e—Concise coverage of everything you need to know for pathology review for USMLE Step 1. Now in full-color!

Lippincott's Pocket Pathology

Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards, 5e

High-Yield Pathology, 2e

PathCards

Hardcore Pathology

Members don't see this ad.

In browsing the sample chapter of the book, I saw many colorful microspy images. The chapter was very clear and concise on the pathogenosis and clinical features of the disease. However, are the staining method and technique listed elsewhere in the book?

In browsing the sample chapter of the book, I saw many colorful microspy images. The chapter was very clear and concise on the pathogenosis and clinical features of the disease. However, are the staining method and technique listed elsewhere in the book?

I'm sorry--could you let me know which product this is in regard to?

Thanks,
LWW

Members don't see this ad :)
My institution has recommended purchasing the Stevens' "Core Pathology" text. I have yet to purchase a pathology book. I wanted to know if the Rubin's text contains any chapters with additional information that the Sevens' book does not, and either way, if you recommend the Rubin's text as a primary pathology source for a medical student?

My institution has recommended purchasing the Stevens' "Core Pathology" text. I have yet to purchase a pathology book. I wanted to know if the Rubin's text contains any chapters with additional information that the Sevens' book does not, and either way, if you recommend the Rubin's text as a primary pathology source for a medical student?

Rubin's Pathology has 10 chapters on general pathology and 20 chapters on systemic pathology. It includes chapters devoted to Diabetes Mellitus, Amyloidoses, and Cytopathology---none of these special chapters are included in any competitor textbook.

Rubin's Pathology was created specifically to provide medical students with the grounding they need in pathology to practice medicine effectively, so it is a very appropriate choice as a primary pathology source.

It also comes with online case studies, audio review questions on MP3, and podcast lectures summarizing the general pathology chapters. We are coming out with pathology flashcards for iPod and iPhone this summer (I hope that's not too late for you to use!)

Thanks for your question and best of luck in your course,
LWW

Is there a significance difference between Rubin's and Robbins? It looks like Robbins comes with software that lets you magnify some of the images. Is this possible in Rubin's?
Thank you!

Which book is the best for step 1 quick board review? I dont need to relearn path but want to be able to go over it quickly.

I am more familiar with the Robbin's pathology book. How does Rubins compare in regards to the depth of the subject matter covered? Is it geared toward a similar level of study?

Will one be able to access the ipod flashcards this summer if the book is purchased (or won) now.

Is there a significance difference between Rubin's and Robbins? It looks like Robbins comes with software that lets you magnify some of the images. Is this possible in Rubin's?
Thank you!

Rubin and Robbins are both comprehensive textbooks in pathology with similar overall organization, but the main difference is that Rubin's is more streamlined and clinically oriented, while Robbins is more scientifically oriented.

Thanks for the question,
LWW

Which book is the best for step 1 quick board review? I dont need to relearn path but want to be able to go over it quickly.

BRS Pathology is an excellent high-yield review for Step 1. It uses outline format to highlight the most tested topics on Step 1. It also includes more than 450 USMLE-style questions, answers, and explanations. The 4th edition includes full-color images throughout.

Will one be able to access the ipod flashcards this summer if the book is purchased (or won) now.

The iPod/iPhone flashcards will be sold separately. However, the plan is to include some sample flashcards along with purchase of the next edition of the Rubin's Pathology text.

We will shortly be offering a contest on LWW.com/medstudent to name the product. Watch in the coming weeks and check out a sample file of the flashcards and enter to win an iPhone prize!

I am more familiar with the Robbin's pathology book. How does Rubins compare in regards to the depth of the subject matter covered? Is it geared toward a similar level of study?

Both Rubin and Robbins are excellent comprehensive textbooks of pathology. The Rubin text emphasizes pathogenesis and is oriented towards the inclusion of material necessary for students preparing to practice medicine. Robbins includes more scientific detail and, as one reviewer indicates, it is comprehensive enough for a practicing pathologist.

hello!

I was thinking about getting this but wanted to know more about the BRS path book. I have other BRS books, and find them to be quite helpful even though at my school we don't go over all of the info our first year so some topics in the book are not relevant until my next year. But I was thinking that path is in a little bit of almost every block we have that it might be helpful. Can you tell me if it's geared just to those studying for the boards or if I might find it helpful in the time leading up to then?

thanks!

Are there any chapters left out in the "Essentials" version of Rubin's Pathology?
Or is the basic organization the same, but just less in-depth?

I've actually had the pleasure of using Rubin's Pathology.
A professor of mine bought it last year.
The only use she had for it was on a bookshelf.
But at one time we started arguing about Rey's syndrome and neonatal hepatitis.
So I went for her Rubin's Path and found the answers.
Since then she's used it a number of times.
The book has wonderful descriptions and is very concise.
So I would recommend to to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.