GradPlus

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Status
MD/PhD Student
What kind of Step 1 score is required to get into a top 20 pathology program? I saw that a cut-off for the yale program was 90 on a two-digit scale, but that seems low for a top program.

TypicalTuesday

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
What kind of Step 1 score is required to get into a top 20 pathology program? I saw that a cut-off for the yale program was 90 on a two-digit scale, but that seems low for a top program.
That's because Yale is only ranked 21 on the most recent rankings

HESC

remaining pluripotent
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
this is an interesting question or two. first, what are the top 20 programs and how are they defined (NIH money)?

Second, what kind of boards scores and/or application stats will get you interviews?

any inside info lurking out there?

malchik

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You've heard it before and it sounds like a cop-out but it's true: there are no answers to these questions. The only way to approach it is to consider your individual situation. If you have good grades, a Science paper, a PhD and a 210 step 1, your step 1 isn't going to matter much. As for program rankings, it is somewhat easier to come up with fellowship/subspecialty ranks, but even these wouldn't be universally agreed upon. But if you have identified heme as your fellowship of choice, then go to a program that has famous heme people. But if you're like most people and don't know, then going to a place that has the most good fellowships makes sense.

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
If you're a great candidate, no boards score, so long as it is passing, is going to really disqualify you. It might warrant explanation. Nobody really knows whether or not certain programs have actual number cutoffs, whether these numbers exist or are different for AMGs and IMGs, and how often they are ignored when the candidate has something else in their application. All you can do is score the best you can and apply to the programs you want to go to. If they don't want you, you won't get an interview.

OP
G

GradPlus

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Status
MD/PhD Student
Great, thanks guys, I greatly appreciate everyone taking the time and giving some feedback.

Gyric

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
I would add that while we do not have a firm cut-off, we do put a bit more weight on usmle scores than other factors.

According to my PD there is a correlation between low usmle (step 1 and 2) scores (regardless of other achievements) and RISE/boards performance. Since top programs strive for 100% pass rates and since the boards are mostly about whatever innate test taking skill allows people to score well on these types of tests, it makes sense that programs will rank with preference given to board scores, if they can afford to do so.

Frankly, the applicants I have seen ranked well all have good board scores (I would estimate roughly 230+ over the last 2 years), interview well (which is critical), and have some other achievement that stands out.