pathman1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2004
Status
Hello all...please ignore the username--for i have yet not decided on my field of choice. However I have narrowed my selection down to pathology and radiology. I see that everyone gets great feedback in this forum so i wanted to take a shot posting here. Just wondering if any of you had narrowed your decision down to these 2 fields (path and radio). I know radio definitely has more earning potential than path. However which field provides a better lifestyle? Which is more stressful? Which requires more work and is more difficult to grasp when studying? Which has more liability? And what kinds of questions should one ask oneself before deciding to go into either of these fields...i have already decided that i want a lifestyle field, i do not want patient contact, and like to do something repetitive so i can master it easier--and makes my job quicker. i would appreciate all responses thank you!

banner

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
pathman1 said:
Hello all...please ignore the username--for i have yet not decided on my field of choice. However I have narrowed my selection down to pathology and radiology. I see that everyone gets great feedback in this forum so i wanted to take a shot posting here. Just wondering if any of you had narrowed your decision down to these 2 fields (path and radio). I know radio definitely has more earning potential than path. However which field provides a better lifestyle? Which is more stressful? Which requires more work and is more difficult to grasp when studying? Which has more liability? And what kinds of questions should one ask oneself before deciding to go into either of these fields...i have already decided that i want a lifestyle field, i do not want patient contact, and like to do something repetitive so i can master it easier--and makes my job quicker. i would appreciate all responses thank you!

I think that the factors you are asking about easily change decade to decade. Right now, you can make more money in Radiology and because of the higher volume, the stress on average is probably higher. That being said, pathologists aren't exactly in the poor house either.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either field because since you don't have to take care of patients. That was my main reason for narrowing my choices down to pathology and radiology. I like the science of medicine and the problem solving but not taking care of people.

I chose radiology because I like imaging better than slides and it's a little more of a "cleaner" field. But, had I not matched I could have happily done pathology.

So, really, the question is which do you like better as a field for its own sake?

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
and there is no intern year or transitional year requirement for path. that means after med school you really ARE no longer having to take care of people. no more Q3 or Q4 or whatever.

:thumbup: