LoaLoa

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Hey everybody. I'm a long-time reader (and first-time poster) on these forums. I'll be starting my path residency in June. Assuming that I have not failed as a human being and do not match. :)

I am a nerd. Therefore, I have been thinking of starting a new website for pathology (residents ?). I think that there is a shocking lack of good sites out there for people in our niche. It is very difficult to find easy-to-use, well-organized, and engaging content, and there there is no good forum for exchange of ideas (and images, etc) that I know of. Besides, as Andy alluded to in the USCAP thread, there is a social component to websites like this that it would be a shame to abandon just because we will have ascended to become Doctors.

What I had in mind is something like a site with a forum similar to this one, an image gallery in where people could discuss stuff (and perhaps eventually build some kind of image library), links to useful path sites, useful downloads (e.g. All you ever needed to know about Flow in just Ten Pages.pdf), perhaps a central section where people could post interesting unknowns or news, and anything else people find useful or fun.

Might anyone else be interested in participating? I plan to do most of the coding and host the site, and I've already got an ugly but functional prototype done. For anyone else, there could potentially be plenty (i.e. unlimited) opportunity to contribute as much as you'd like. If it becomes popular, your power and fame will increase in proportion to your contribution. All of your wildest dreams will come true.

So I suppose my questions are two:
1. Would you visit such a site once it was up?
2. Anyone interested in contributing?

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
I am not a pathology person, but I will offer my comments anyway. ;)

If you exclude the discussion forum portion and hook in as an SDN partner site, your chances of a successful site launch will greatly increase. Also, there is no reason why current practitioners cannot continue to frequent SDN. Having a partner site such as the one you are describing might help us with retention. So, it could be a mutually beneficial relationship. If you are interested, you'd need to go through both yaah and SDN's Webmonster, Lee Burnett, to get it set up.

Food for thought...

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
Great idea LoaLoa. I would definitely visit a site like this as a resident and would be happy to contribute by sharing cases for example. I think the partnership between the site and SDN would serve to help increase the community of pathologists on both sites as well.

1Path

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
www.msapas.net
Status
Doctor B. said:
I'd be glad to help as well. My blog, http://pathdoc.blogspot.com links to the SDN forums and I've gotten lots of traffic that way. Let me know what you would like me to do.
I didn't know that was your blog I've been enjoying/reading for a few years now althogh I can't remember how I found out about it. I know is wasn't via SDN.

As for the new site, I'd certainly visit and I'm also trying to open the field of pathology to other underrepresented minority groups through my own site as well:
http://msapas04.proboards28.com

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I've been reading Doctor B.'s blog as well...it's helpful. Thank you.

Anybody else use www.pathologyoutlines.com? They have some additional stuff like job advertisements....wonder who runs that site?

As for the original question, yes, I would definitely visit such a site and would contribute if I had anything of value to add. :)

DrBloodmoney

Pathology
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
At a microscope
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I think that it is a great idea. Especially if you would include a section for sharing study guides between residents (not copyrighted stuff, but things that residents have come up with to help them study for boards, etc.).

Brian Pavlovitz

give me that marrow!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 31, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sounds like a great idea, LoaLoa.

Now that surgery is over ( ;) ), I've actually seen a couple of "classic" cases that I may be able to get pictures of...

Doctor B.

Slappin' That Glass
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2003
On The Flipside
pathdoc.blogspot.com
Status
cytoborg said:
I've been reading Doctor B.'s blog as well...it's helpful. Thank you.

Anybody else use www.pathologyoutlines.com? They have some additional stuff like job advertisements....wonder who runs that site?

As for the original question, yes, I would definitely visit such a site and would contribute if I had anything of value to add. :)
Thanks! I love pathologyoutlines. The guy who runs it had a booth at USCAP; I didn't get a chance to talk with him. I've used pathologyoutlines several times during signout to look up things. It's a great resource (and will be excellent high yield for boards).

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
AndyMilonakis said:
wow...i need to check this out....in 5 months.
pathologyoutlines helped make my last couple of rotations bearable. Whenever anybody breathed the word "biopsy" (all too rarely, unfortunately) I hopped on that site to keep my spirits up and my mind from turning to mush.

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
cytoborg said:
pathologyoutlines helped make my last couple of rotations bearable. Whenever anybody breathed the word "biopsy" (all too rarely, unfortunately) I hopped on that site to keep my spirits up and my mind from turning to mush.
clinical rotations suck.

OP
LoaLoa

LoaLoa

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Great. It sounds like there is some interest there, so I will get to work on finishing up the site design and then begin begging for contributions. As far as partnering with SDN, hmmmm......interesting...I will have to think about that. While I'm at it, are there any features you'd like to see in such a site? Whatever you can think of is possible, the only limit is your imagination.

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
You could feature a residency program each month. Residents there could contribute information and photos so others could learn about the program, hospital(s), and any fellowship opportunities.

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
stormjen said:
You could feature a residency program each month. Residents there could contribute information and photos so others could learn about the program, hospital(s), and any fellowship opportunities.
Awesome idea! This would be extremely useful! Although, considering that getting residents to post on Scutwork is like hearding cats, I don't know how much of a response there would be.

OP
LoaLoa

LoaLoa

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
deschutes said:
Is that link working the way it is supposed to? I see flashing dots and hear a voice on endless loop :confused:
Yes, it's working....It's a stupid site...If you listen long enough, the voice says, "The only limit is yourself. You can do anytheeeeeeeng at Zombocom". :thumbup:

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
LoaLoa said:
Yes, it's working....It's a stupid site...If you listen long enough, the voice says, "The only limit is yourself. You can do anytheeeeeeeng at Zombocom". :thumbup:
Okay. I thought it was your site :p but decided to give you the benefit of the doubt!

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
Andy on the other hand needs a bullet-proof vest.

...I'm going, I'm going!!

1Path

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
www.msapas.net
Status
LoaLoa - This may be a dead thread, but I was wondering how this turned out for you. I had a similar dream; check out www.thetrainedeye.org or www.pathologypics.com. Always looking for new partners in these projects which are really still in their infancy.
Great links!!:thumbup: I especially like thetrainedeye! Those cases of the week are ourstanding!

OP
LoaLoa

LoaLoa

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for the compliment! Thetrainedeye.org is actually my site, and so it pathologypics.

Thetrainedeye.org just went "live" a couple of weeks ago. There will be incremental additions of content every few days indefinitely (or until I can't stand it anymore. . .) As of now, there is only one "case of the week" but more will be added. In addition, the site has "The Great Big Book of Everything" which will eventually be a non-comprehensive board study resource / textbook. For the time being, I and my colleagues don't have the time to recreate something as comprehensive as pathologyoutlines in that regard, so we'll focus on testable material.

If you're interested, stop by and sign up to be a member. Maybe we can get some action going on the forums.

And let me know if somebody wants to contribute a case (credited, of course) or contribute in other ways. I am of course also open to suggestions for ways to make it better in general. In time, I plan to form a non-profit to control run the site and I'm not making money off of it (in fact, the opposite is true . . .:oops: ).

Thanks for taking a look at it.

MadSci

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2004
Status
Hey everybody. I'm a long-time reader (and first-time poster) on these forums. I'll be starting my path residency in June. Assuming that I have not failed as a human being and do not match. :)

I am a nerd. Therefore, I have been thinking of starting a new website for pathology (residents ?). I think that there is a shocking lack of good sites out there for people in our niche. It is very difficult to find easy-to-use, well-organized, and engaging content, and there there is no good forum for exchange of ideas (and images, etc) that I know of. Besides, as Andy alluded to in the USCAP thread, there is a social component to websites like this that it would be a shame to abandon just because we will have ascended to become Doctors.

What I had in mind is something like a site with a forum similar to this one, an image gallery in where people could discuss stuff (and perhaps eventually build some kind of image library), links to useful path sites, useful downloads (e.g. All you ever needed to know about Flow in just Ten Pages.pdf), perhaps a central section where people could post interesting unknowns or news, and anything else people find useful or fun.

Might anyone else be interested in participating? I plan to do most of the coding and host the site, and I've already got an ugly but functional prototype done. For anyone else, there could potentially be plenty (i.e. unlimited) opportunity to contribute as much as you'd like. If it becomes popular, your power and fame will increase in proportion to your contribution. All of your wildest dreams will come true.

So I suppose my questions are two:
1. Would you visit such a site once it was up?
2. Anyone interested in contributing?
Possibly my site is what you are looking for:

[shameless_plug]

http://surgicalpathologyatlas.com/

You need to register (free) to comment on images or upload your own images. It has fake zoom, links to pubMed, search engine. The journal list has a online RSS parser to view the latest journal articles.There is aslo a directory of usefull websites and you can upload/suggest one if you wish. I also have uploaded 2 e-books which I did with Nat Pernik from PathologyOutlines; one is on Breast Pathology and the other is about CD Markers. you will need (Isilo reader for them). There is a forum installed which no one is using. If you want check it out. Any suggestions for improvements are more then welcome.

ms