Pathways to practice in America?

Started by kodal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kodal

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I am a recent dental school graduate from Ireland (only have accredited BDS) and am a Canadian citizen. However, I am wondering about my future as a dentist in Canada, as there are less and less patients, low increases in insurance payments and so on.

I have started to look into potentially practicing in America. As Ireland and Canada have a reciprocity agreement, I was able to do just the Canadian boards, but can't do that with America. So I found several options:

1) Advanced international dentist pathway (2-3 years) / another 4 year DDS degree
2) Specialize further
4) Limited dental license (but I cannot find any job postings)
3) Practice as hygienist

Is there anything else that I can do to practice and possible staying for a long time / forever(?) in America? Has anyone gone through something similar?

Thank you for all your help!