Patient instructions on OPKs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCO47

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a description that consistently works for the OPK test in VNG? I'm having a tough time explaining to patients what I want them to do. -k

Members don't see this ad.

next youre going to see a lot of little boxes flying across the screen. I want you to relax and allow your eyes to catch each of the boxes.

encourage the patient by letting them know how well he/she is doing. if these instructions dont work i then try to encourage them to catch each of the boxes and count each one.

if you are using the light bar, i feel like it is much more difficult task than if you are using a full screen, i.e. GN otomoetrics lightbar vs. Balance Back with a projector. hope this helps

If you're using the light bar: 'you are going to see several lights several lights going from (direction), almost like looking at a train going by, what I want you to do is look in the middle (point at the light thats there) and count out loud the lights as the go by, i'll let you know when they switch directions'

9 out 10 times this works, if it doesn't tell them to pick up the light on 1 end track to the other end and repeat.

For the projector depending on the program, if there are no red dots on the screen tell the person to find a red dot as the dots go by. Haven't had an issue with this yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best description I ever heard was, "some shapes are going to fly by, I want you to find the triangle."

I tell patients the following:

For this test you're going to see several dots appear on the light bar. They are going to move from one side of the screen to the other like a scrolling marquee on a movie theater sign. What I want you to do is pick up a dot as it appears out of the corner of the screen and follow it all the way over until you reach the end of the bar. Then come back over and pick up another dot and do the same thing over and over again. Half way through the test the dots will change direction. Just do the same thing.

Works even with the toughest patients.