Patient volumes for junior attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hem_onc1331

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, just wondering if anyone here could comment on what patient volumes they have been seeing as a junior attending a year or two into practice. Looking into applying for jobs right now - Would you say that around ~15-16 pts a year into practice is a reasonable ask? I don’t want to be seeing too many patients also as a general oncologist as they’re complicated and not having a disease specific community position makes it hard to catch up on everything. Also how many new patients (including heme?) and 4 or 4.5 days of clinic ?
 
At my (academic) institution, a new patient is 60min, an old patient is 30min. On average 1-2 new patients/day and 8 hours/day so the math comes out to 14-15 patients/day.
 
Interviewing for jobs now and one hybrid position has templates for ~14 per day (1 new, 6 returns per half day). They do have APP support though once you have the volume, so I think that's really manageable (seems like 20/day with an APP is easily doable).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
15-16 a day after a year or two is reasonable. 18-20 after 3 or 4 years.

I recently changed jobs after 11 years, going from 20-25 a day (typically 2-3 of them new) to a place where they’re trying to keep me happy and I’m seeing 12-14 a day. I’m a little bored TBH. I suspect I’ll settle in at the 18-20 range in a few months and be off to the races.
 
In a hospital employed position, 5 years out of fellowship now

busyish DMV metro. See on average 22-25 avg now, little less than before.

4-6 new patients a day. Rest followups

Some days are just different, like today 17 patients only but 7 new. 5 heme 2 onc

Also keep in mind you could also have inpatient consults and followups.

My NP sees 5-8 patients daily. But they dont counts towards my productivity.